Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Tigre in Vimoutiers

Article about: Hello guys, at the end of the sixties, every time I left the pocket, I stopped at this tank. Happy days, no collectors in the place

blimey ...back in the early 70's driving on the N179 I nearly crashed my car when I first saw her - she was a sorry state - left to rot - and no one to take care of her- I never took anything from her - but back then no one cared if you did or not! I remember going to a junk yard in Sur Dives in the pocket and finding a panther turret an opel blitz and most of an FW190 oh to go back in time!!

BINGO, found it!!!! ..... look to the top left of this photo - you can see the old railway bridge and road cutting.
    This bridge would have been removed as the widening of the N179 took place - but puts it in perspective as to the Tigers initial resting position relative to its current one.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Tigre in Vimoutiers  
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Quote by Danmark View Post
    I wonder whether a rummage through the undergrowth would turn up any nuts & bolts from the parts removed??? .... THAT would be cool ( don't all rush over there - an orderly queue please )

Dan
    You are probably a bit late for this location, given its notoriety I think the chances of finding anything much are about zero. But would be pleased to be proved wrong!

Tigre in Vimoutiers

On this Google Earth view I have outlined what I think is the former railroad in red (there are 2 possibilities where it could have crossed the road).

Below is the street view (facing East) from the Rue Pierre Annic where it crosses the former railroad; this location is about 1 km to the North from the Tiger. It shows the sides of another former railroad bridge; the bridge itself has been removed but it clearly shows the railroad ran on an elevated bank.

Tigre in Vimoutiers

Hello, this week :

The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

What a puny fence! ..... It could never cage the beast...
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Not going to keep out the souvenir hunters or salvage wreckers either!

No big cat would like such a fence. Ridiculous.

Thanks for the "caged" photo mate, appreciated.

?

The Tiger is going to be moved to the Tank Museum for refurbishment , when it returns it will be going on display in a location in the centre of thre town to give it more security from Thieves and as it is the towns major tourist attraction to bring in some revenue to local people.
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast