Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Vehicle tag from Stalingrad

Article about: I yesterday received the below brass tag as a bonus alongside a couple of German dog tags from one of my Stalingrad digger contacts. After some light cleaning it translates (using Google) to

Default Vehicle tag from Stalingrad

I yesterday received the below brass tag as a bonus alongside a couple of German dog tags from one of my Stalingrad digger contacts.

After some light cleaning it translates (using Google) to 'wedge fixing the clearance between the 3 lever and clutch release bearing'. It is quite small as compared to a AA battery so maybe it was rivetted to a chassis or firewall?

Obviously the language is French but as it must have come from a French vehicle or equipment in the hands of the Wehrmacht I figured this is the right forum to post it in.

Vehicle tag from Stalingrad

Does anyone have any ideas? I'm thinking a captured Renault or Citroen car or truck?

Cheers
    Glenn

Default Re: Vehicle tag from Stalingrad

Hi Glenn, interesting little item. The German Army used a lot of impressed/captured vehicles. It must have been a logistical nightmare for the motor pool officers to try and keep them running due to the lack of spare parts.

Cheers, Ade.