Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need help identifying peaked caps

Article about: I recently came across two soviet peaked caps. I know next to nothing about military caps. Would someone be able to identify them (service branch, rank, and so on)? Are they real or fake? An

Default Need help identifying peaked caps

I recently came across two soviet peaked caps. I know next to nothing about military caps. Would someone be able to identify them (service branch, rank, and so on)? Are they real or fake?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Need help identifying peaked caps
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Welcome to the forum Owen.

I can't help much on these, but a bit of patience and someone will be around shortly!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Cap number one is a strange color I don't recognize for any Soviet cap of the period, the very basic visor is also strange. cap number two appears to be a officers field cap from the 1970-1991 period that was slightly tampered with, the cord should not be gold on a field cap, and the cockade should be a subdued green color.

Could you please show the markings on the inside of the hats. As well as the buttons.

Sure.

The one with the magenta band:

The one with the dark green band:

?

IMHO: Both caps are from early Ukraine - 1990-2000. Not the USSR.

Going to need a better picture of the label on the khaki cap.

There you have it. As the letters are embossed, they are a bit difficult to figure out. Hope you are able to see them.

As per post #7 I agree that the subdued green one appears to be an early post Soviet, Ukraine cap.

The construction of the label being hot-embossed vinyl was not typical of Soviet caps which tended to be printed on an applied rhomboid or sometimes printed directly onto the inside of the crown.

Also, the last word above the date (can't make that out for certain so I'll let you decide!) is the Cyrillic word "KIEV" so that should perhaps add to the information.

The bright cap badge on the field cap is not correct for a Soviet cap and would seem incongruous on a cap that is supposed to be of subdued appearance. It is however a Soviet period officers duty/everyday cap badge. The buttons are Soviet but like the cap badge should be the Soviet shade of olive green. Can't help with the gold chin cord but again the colour is out of place and the design is not familiar to me as a Soviet military type.

The coloured cap might be Soviet if the colour rendition of the picture is not spot on because until circa 1980 the Soviet Medical, Vetinary, Justice et al did use Magenta facings including the hat band It also has the typical applied rhomboid label but I can see no markings at all (this is not a red flag as sometimes they were very lightly printed and did fade.)until changing to the better known bright red.
    The colour of the crown looks odd but again that might be colour rendition.

An interesting pair of caps. I am pretty convinced that the green one is Ukrainian but you may like to research the other one further.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast