Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

New ushanka just arrived

Article about: Hereby I wanna show my new ushanka which, according to the seller is a naval infantry ushanka. This one is in nice yet worn condition and shows great character. I am 100% certain it is a WW2

I look at the liner and the stitching. On every forum I've been and in every book that I've read the wartime ushankas should have this distinctive pattern, different from postwar patterns, fake patterns and Bulgarian ushanka patterns. I never found documentation about this but I assumed this to be true since it's widely spread information. Perhaps I am wrong, but, for the moment we have no documents of fabrication patterns that prove otherwise.

New ushanka just arrived

The hole with red cloth....well, could be from moths, could be eaten by a mouse, could be schrapnel. Seller claimed it was custom by naval infantry to put a piece of red cloth where a bullit or schrapnel hit. I personally never heard of this, however it could be true. I don't say it IS true. I say it COULD be true. And that is what I wanna try to find out.
    The thing with schrapnel is, it doesn't need to go through the cap, it could have had a different angle with which it struck, damaging only the earflap when being loose. Could be. I don't know. Therefor, I try to find out if such custom using red cloth existed.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement New ushanka just arrived
    P
    Many

I think it depends on the manufacturer, here is one from 1972 with the 'three lines' on this forum....
    Can anyone give me information on this Ushanka?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture New ushanka just arrived  

This one shown is made from different material and different "fur". Mine is exactly like other known wartime caps. That's a difference.

different 'fur' I believe reflects it is an officers version, not some other distinction and it does have what your diagram lists as 'wartime' pattern stitching.
    There were several manufacturers of course.....probably all with some variation.

I agree there are variations and several of these can be found on this forum. My other wartime ushanka is also a slight variation. The basics however are the same.

With different fur I meant not the variation between officers and enlisted men. I maybe didn't express myself good enough. I also have and had postwar ushankas and these all had fur that felt and looked slightly different, which by looks is exactly the same as the one from the link you posted. With the known (and often dated) wartime ushankas the fur feels and looks different. Therefor I believe this one posted by me is also a wartime ushanka. Since it feels and looks like the other wartime ushankas that I've seen and handled.

As for the red cloth, it is impossible to say when this piece was attached. Therefor I try to find out whether naval infantry (or for that matter any other branche of the armed forces) during the Patriotic War had a custom of using some red cloth where a bullit or schrapnel pierced the cloth. And so far I didn't come across anything like this yet, but the search continues.

Meyerse, here is a very helpful youtube video that has helped me and many many others on this forum identify if an ushanka is a wartime piece or not

YouTube

Nice ushanka! Hoping to grab one myself in the future.

?

meyerse #12

МЛП СССР Татарское ордена Ленина меховое объединение фабрика №4 им. Хамашева, г. Казань

MLP USSR Tartar Order of Lenin Fur Corporation Factory Number 4, Named after Khamashev, City of Kazan.

Hereby my latest ushanka which just arrived. It never had a star attached (so it could very well be a civilian ushanka - I have no clue). I believe it was quite common to see these without stars in the Red Army though. I know that stars were taken from pilotkas, according to memoirs, since these stars could attract snipers. It furthermore doesn't have a stamp anymore but shows age and lots of wear...and character

New ushanka just arrivedNew ushanka just arrivedNew ushanka just arrivedNew ushanka just arrivedNew ushanka just arrivedNew ushanka just arrived

Interesting! I don’t think I’ve ever seen one with this type of lining pattern before.

It’s in great shape

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast