Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

New ushanka just arrived

Article about: Hereby I wanna show my new ushanka which, according to the seller is a naval infantry ushanka. This one is in nice yet worn condition and shows great character. I am 100% certain it is a WW2

Default New ushanka just arrived

Hereby I wanna show my new ushanka which, according to the seller is a naval infantry ushanka. This one is in nice yet worn condition and shows great character. I am 100% certain it is a WW2 period ushanka. What I am interested in is, and I didn't manage to find good period pics, is that I would like to see some period photographs of naval infantry wearing this darker coloured ushanka. I've only come across pics with either helmets or beskozirkas (and I've searched for hours and hours).
    Another fact, which is intriguing to me, is the piece of red coth where a piece of shrapnel damaged the fabric of the cap. It is said it is a custom by Soviet naval men to add such a piece of red cloth where a bullet or schrapnel hit. Anyone knows more about this and are there photographs known showing this? Would be very interesting to see.

Hereby the cap which some of you probably have seen before on the forum sponsor's website:

New ushanka just arrivedNew ushanka just arrivedNew ushanka just arrivedNew ushanka just arrivedNew ushanka just arrivedNew ushanka just arrived

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement New ushanka just arrived
    P
    Many

I would just like to add that I have also seen different examples of wartime ushankas having red pieces of cloth attached to them. Very interesting!
    Last edited by PapaStalin1943; 03-03-2020 at 11:56 PM.

Can you show them please

I'll have to look and see if I can remember where I saw some examples of this. When I do find the images, I will post them for sure

No one is familiar with the custom of using some red cloth where a bullit or schrapnel hit? Perhaps someone of our Russian speaking members? I have tried all my books and tons of English websites without result. I guess I need to search in Russian language....and there is where it ends for me unfortunately haha

Hello Marcel,

Never heard about such custom, but I will ask to a few friends, maybe we will learn something new

I like your ushanka, it was also on my list but....too many things on the list and I'm not well experienced with these hats, I wanted to study it more before buying it I'm glad you buy it.

Best regards
    Gabriele

Thanks Gabriele, looking forward to hear if your friends know anything about this custom. We indeed can learn something new which is always good

What tells you it is WW2? It has the same color (bluish gray) and shape as later ones? What is the tell this is WW2?
    And if shrapnel why didn't it penetrate the hat as opposed to being a simple moth repair?
    New ushanka just arrived
    Also, I thought Naval Ushankas were black?

Thanks! This is too tricky for me, I'd never be able to tell the difference between this and modern ones, even the tie cord looks the same to me, I'll stick with what I know! but always ready to learn.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture New ushanka just arrived  

Another black one, other guy is wearing a papkha I think?
    If you google 'soviet naval infantry' getty images has some pictures of a declaired 'naval infantry major' with what might be a lighter colored one? I won't put the image here because even though Getty got it from the Russians (TASS) they still try to claim copyright on things.
    Attached Images Attached Images New ushanka just arrived 

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast