Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

opinions on SSH 36

Article about: opinions on this Helmet appreciated, odd liner- any ideas?

?

Default opinions on SSH 36

opinions on this Helmet appreciated, odd liner- any ideas?
    opinions on SSH 36opinions on SSH 36opinions on SSH 36opinions on SSH 36opinions on SSH 36opinions on SSH 36

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement opinions on SSH 36
    P
    Many

Liner certainly looks a little strange to me, shell at the very least is probably original

Hi- this is an original SSH-36 IMO. I believe that this one is actually a rarer version, as I believe it has leather liner that was used in SSH-36’s given to Spaniards during the Spanish Civil War. This is just my opinion, so I’d wait on atleast another reply.

?

thanks papastalin1933- this piece of info cracked the case- a few examples online about the SSH36 used during the Spanish Civil War online and they have the same 7 finger leather liner and same stitching.opinions on SSH 36opinions on SSH 36
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture opinions on SSH 36  

?

opinions on SSH 36

These have always been a mystery to me, I'll try to just stick to the books I have.

While I agree with it being an original Ssh36, I think the first and third liners Tinley posted are different from the second. The first and third have the "thick wool cloth cushion between the band and the dome" as described on page 30 in Dr. Clawson's book. He calls this one the first type of liner installed in Ssh36s, and says it was "plagued with persistent quality control problems in mass-producing the leather" and had a "tendency to fall apart with little or no use."

The second one posted, however, doesn't have that same pattern of band/cushion/liner. Looks similar, but appears to wrap all the way around.

PapaStalin, I've always heard the same thing about these being used by the Spanish, but page 430 of Karabanov's book has a regular cloth liner Ssh36 named to a Spanish soldier (Juan Ricardo Rodriguez), so I'm no longer sure that's true. Could also be that the Spanish used both the leather-liner and cloth-liner versions. Also, I can't find anywhere in Karabanov's book where he specifically mentions these leather liners at all.

I probably added more confusion than clarity, but just wanted to add what the books say.

Kevin

?

From Joseba Revuelta fantastic web site: The components of this trim, due to their design or poor quality (or both) were ruined shortly after use, so they were soon replaced by others of leather tongues and metal eyelets for the lace.
    The strap of the garrison was fastened to the hull by three small rivets.

The chinstrap is made of fabric or leather (the restored ones, definitely in leather).

Helmets Mº Ssh 36 with leather trim. These helmets have been listed as restored in Spain during the civil war, often lacking the original Russian aeration system. Thanks to Joseba gold mine of a web site, I'm only the humble messenger ( learning as I go). Enjoy!
    Attached Images Attached Images opinions on SSH 36  opinions on SSH 36