Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Russian Helmet

Article about: Hello all! Hope you're doing well. This is my first post on this forum, so please feel free to correct me if I'm doing something wrong! I've the opportunity to buy below helmet. Because I ne

Default Russian Helmet

Hello all!

Hope you're doing well. This is my first post on this forum, so please feel free to correct me if I'm doing something wrong!

I've the opportunity to buy below helmet. Because I never bought a Russian helmet before, I hoped you guys could help me out.
    I think it is an WW2 SSH39 Helmet (due to the 3 rivets on the upper side of the helmet) but with remnants of a SSH40 liner (due to the 3 liner pads). The chinstrap is unknown and difficult for me, I thought this is WW2 but I'm not sure.
    What are your thoughts?

Then there's the stamp in the middle of the helmet. I've read on this forum and the internet the meaning is "training".
    But I also read that helmets with this stamp were not considered suitable for actual combat. Is this correct or is there a different meaning to it?
    There's another stamp which is mentioning a 3 and a symbol. What's the meaning of this stamp?

Last question: If above is correct, what would you estimate for the value of this particular helmet?

Many thanks in advance for your help and expert advice/opinion.

Kind regards,
    Joe

Russian HelmetRussian HelmetRussian HelmetRussian HelmetRussian HelmetRussian Helmet

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Russian Helmet
    P
    Many

Hello Joe, everything you're saying is correct. It is an ssh39 shell that was refurbished post-war with ssh40 pads and labeled with the training stamp because of the large gap in pads at the forehead. When complete, these are cool, but they're not super-rare, so in this rough shape I would pay only a minimal amount. It's almost only a shell, and a rough one at that. Thanks for showing it. Kevin

Hello Kevin,

Thank you for your reply, much appreciated!
    Good to hear my findings were correct, all thanks to the information you guys shared on this forum.

Following your answer regarding the training stamp, I've a question. Hope you don't mind.
    I'm a bit confused now because the other information I've found mentioned that helmets with this stamp were not considered suitable for actual combat. So I assumed this stamp was already added after production between 1939 and 1941.
    But if I understand correctly the training stamp was added after the war? So it is most likely the helmet was used during the war only with different liner etc.?

Again, many thanks!
    Kind Regards Joe

Hey Joe, my belief is that the training stamp was added after the war when the refurbishment with ssh40 pads happened. As always, I welcome opposing viewpoints.

Dr. Clawson's "addendum" site doesn't really answer that question specifically, but it does have more information on the configuration.

Russian Helmets, by Clawson, uchebny

Kevin

Hello Kevin,

Again thank you for your information, very useful!

If you have recommendations about literature (websites or books) regarding the Russian Helmets, I’m eager to learn more.
    Hopefully in the near future I can post a Russian helmet in a better condition then this one and would love to hear your opinion.

Kind regards Joe

Joe,

Welcome to the forum. If all your posts are as good as these first few you’ll be fine here.

Joe, Ivan Karabanov's book is the best if you want to learn more about Russian helmets. It's written in both Russian and English.

New book on Russian helmets

Dom
    ?

Hi,

In the past we have discussed these helmets (with Mike I think) but I do not know where is the thread ?

These helmets were restored, refurbished at LMZ in 1950, here is one in its "hybrid" configuration .

Russian Helmet

Russian Helmet

Russian Helmet

Hello Dom,

Thanks for sharing the pictures and the additional information. That helmet is in a nice condition!

Kind Regards,
    Joe