Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Russian Ssh40 helmet, help please

Article about: Hi everyone, I have just purchased (inexpensively) my first soviet helmet. Is it a wartime helmet? I have looked at several reference books and I see there are numerous previous threads aski

Default Russian Ssh40 helmet, help please

Hi everyone, I have just purchased (inexpensively) my first soviet helmet. Is it a wartime helmet? I have looked at several reference books and I see there are numerous previous threads asking for help dating these helmets, and I have looked at many of them. It would seem this is of the wartime pattern, but could be early post war as well. Is this correct, and can anyone tell me anything else about it? Thanks everyone for your help.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Russian Ssh40 helmet, help please   Russian Ssh40 helmet, help please  

Russian Ssh40 helmet, help please   Russian Ssh40 helmet, help please  

Russian Ssh40 helmet, help please  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Russian Ssh40 helmet, help please
    P
    Many

Default Re: Russian Ssh40 helmet, help please

Hi Douglas, I cannot add anything which you don't already know. Could be wartime or early post war as you say. The only real way of knowing is via the ink stamps which are long gone here.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Thanks Ade, its good to have that confirmed.

As Adrian said it's hard to date without the stamps, i've got one dated 1950 and it looks exactly the same as this.

At least its not had the usual postwar repaint thats normally associated with the LMZ 1946-1949 lids and there repainted and relined then reissued again,so it certainly looks more the part than what you usually come across,nice buy indeed,regards minnie.

Thanks for your comments. I have now noticed its stamped 1.1950 into the metal underneath the back liner flap. Is this the date or the batch no? I ask as other helmets have what appears to be batch numbers (metal stamped) in this position, and the date is always ink stamped.

That is the size, 1, and the batch number.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Hi Douglas i can't see from the pics whether the chinstraps are stitched or riveted?regards minnie.

very nice douglas it certainly looks the part nice and salty just how i like them ,are you going to lightly coat in oil just to inhibit the surface corrosion and maybe bring out more of the colouration just a thought anyway nice find

Thanks for your comments everybody.

Moaning Minnie, the chinstrap is stitched.

Col James, what sort of oil do you recommend for this?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast