Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Soviet Adrian- Authentic?

Article about: Hi all- so there is this Soviet Adrian helmet that has been put up for sale on a professional dealer website (it is on consignment) and I was thinking of throwing in an offer for it. The hel

Default Soviet Adrian- Authentic?

Hi all- so there is this Soviet Adrian helmet that has been put up for sale on a professional dealer website (it is on consignment) and I was thinking of throwing in an offer for it. The helmet is obviously real, but I know that the star is the most faked part. Personally, it looks good to me when comparing it to confirmed fake stars, but then again the examples I had to go off of were old ones posted here on the forum around 2008-2012. Also, I am not an expert on these Soviet Adrian Cockades, so I will not instantly believe that the star is original just based off of the fake stars that were mass-produced in the early 2000s. I know that some of you guys on here own confirmed real pieces, and was wondering what you guys think of this one. It is also named, which I think is kind of weird as I have only seen one other named Soviet helmet. But who knows, maybe that practice was more widespread than I know. The liner I think is a period replacement.

So, without further ado, here it is:

Soviet Adrian- Authentic?Soviet Adrian- Authentic?Soviet Adrian- Authentic?Soviet Adrian- Authentic?Soviet Adrian- Authentic?Soviet Adrian- Authentic?Soviet Adrian- Authentic?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Soviet Adrian- Authentic?
    P
    Many

Do you have a close-up of the mohawk (I don't know the original word for it - I am sorry). In the middle it looks like it's been painted on top of the rust, leaving this 'wobbly' effect. That would give me concerns without being able to hold it in hands and examin it properly.
    I am curious to hear the experts opinions, let's hope it is a good one!

?

Hello, this one has a chance of being real. The name im not so sure about, usally stalhelms had names on them. It wasnt common practice in the red army. Raul

?

There does not appear to be any reciprocal wear or damage to the paint on the shell itself..
    I would expect to see some at the points of the star, especially.
    Even if the parts are original, they do not appear to have been together for very long.

As Marcel points out, I would want to see this ‘in hand’ before making a call..

I cannot make any comment on the name; as Raul says, a very rarely seen practice (I have never seen it on a Soviet helmet, to my memory - but then, I have not seen every example ever made!), though certainly not impossible.

All the best,
    Bob

P.S: I am not keen on the crude hand-stitching in the chinstrap either!

?

Hello, the star is fake. And the name in not so sure about. Raul

Thanks for all of the replies everyone. I will ask for more photos of it. Raul, what makes you think the star is a fake? Just curious so I know what to look out for.

?

According to the photos that are available, the helmet is assembled. The star is most likely a nowaday copy. A helmet with multiple shells is painted on the top due to corrosion. In the army would have way back been excluded and sent to the scrap, but not to the repair for painting. Not credible.

Thank you very much for the response Mixer. Looking further, I now see the painted over spots you are talking about. It's a shame it isn't authentic, as that would've been a great piece for the collection! Now I guess I'm back to waiting for a dealer to list an Imperial Russian Adrian

?

Questions and doubts do not arise only for such helmets.
    Not long ago out of the ground
    After treatment

Pity the helmet is not original. The corrosion on the crest and the overpainted corrosion pits on the side of the helmet already raise a red flag.
    A few years ago I visited a large international militaria fair. At this fair I saw at least 10 Russian M15 "big star" helmets. Some of them were even converted French M26 helmets.
    I had a chat with one of these sellers and he was honest enough to say that all the "big star" helmets he sold were fake.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast