Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Soviet Helmet Books

Article about: Greetings, I was wondering if anyone knows of good reference books about Soviet helmets. I am especially interested in reference books that include SSH 36, SSH 39, and SSH 40. I already have

Default Soviet Helmet Books

Greetings,

I was wondering if anyone knows of good reference books about Soviet helmets. I am especially interested in reference books that include SSH 36, SSH 39, and SSH 40. I already have "Tin hats to composite helmets" and "Elmetti da combattimento di tutto il mondo" (combat helmets of the world). I've found a reference to Ivan Karabanovs' book, I even e-mailed him but received no response. The only book I found (that was available) was "Russian Helmets: from Kaska to Stalshlyem", is it any good?. I'm relatively new to collecting. I am going to Poland in 2 months and was planning to get one (Russian helmet) there.

On a side note, does anyone know of good militaria stores in Warsaw, Krakow, or Gdansk? Thank you for your time.

-Byron writing for his son

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Soviet Helmet Books
    P
    Many

As far as I know, Ivan Karabonov's book is sold out. That may be the reason why you do not get a response.
    Maybe you can find a second hand copy somewhere on the Internet.

You will probably encounter a Soviet Russian SSh-39 or 40 during your visit to Poland. If you are looking for a WWII example, you have to be careful. There are many counterfeits in circulation.

?

Russian Helmets: from Kaska to Stalshlyem is not a bad book for general education it does the job and it helped me navigate the confusion on the Ssh40s I have. I don't have Ivan Karabanovs' book to compare it to. It is available on Amazon if there aren't better options on eBay.

Steve.

Thanks Tinhat:

Was hoping for a reference that would help us avoid fakes — or at least obvious ones. But said references are hard to find. It is fun to collect something on travel but maybe we lower our sites…

Regards,

Byron

?

The book will help, the threads here are also an excellent resource. This website I found very useful World War Helmets - Russie with excellent images. You have to register but its free.

Steve.

Thanks. This is a good beginners website.

Byron

I always have trouble with this website for some reason. In this case, there isn’t any information on the helmets of interest. Nuts.

Thanks for the help.

I am getting my son the book I can find and go from there.

Someone needs to write a compendium of fakes. Thst would be an interesting book.

Byron

Quote by Taylor820 View Post
    Someone needs to write a compendium of fakes. Thst would be an interesting book.
    The problem is that new counterfeits will appear. It does not stop. In my opinion, publishing a book with forgeries makes no sense.
    It would be better to publish a book describing the original helmets, and such a book exists.
    Ivan Karabanov's book is therefore highly recommended.

Hello,
    The World War helmet descriptions are normaly good.
    It is in French but Google translation usually works well.
    They are a mix of all the aboved mentioned literature, including the Ivan Karabanov' book that very well decribe the creation of each helmet but also articles from Militaria magazine and additional photos and expertise from many collectors.
    The interest beeing in the history, technical descriptions and detailed photos.

You can also go to all the other Warsaw pact pages to compare with their own production.
    Knowing how to compare a WW2 soviet, post war helmet and a Tcheque or bulgarian helmet will be of great help
    The forum will alway be their if you still have remaining questions.

Best
    Bruno