Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

A Soviet reissued Russian Adrian

Article about: Hi everyone- I have found an original Imperial Russian Adrian, that has had its original Tsarist Crest insignia replaced with a Soviet Star. The helmet itself is in my opinion undoubtedly an

Default A Soviet reissued Russian Adrian

Hi everyone- I have found an original Imperial Russian Adrian, that has had its original Tsarist Crest insignia replaced with a Soviet Star. The helmet itself is, in my opinion, undoubtedly an original imperial helmet, and I personally think that the star itself is original as well, but I’d like to compare it to know authentic stars. Does anyone have an original one, or at least an image that can be compared to this one? What do you guys think about it in general? It seems to have been placed on this helmet a very long time ago.

Regards,
    Nikita.

A Soviet reissued Russian AdrianA Soviet reissued Russian AdrianA Soviet reissued Russian AdrianA Soviet reissued Russian AdrianA Soviet reissued Russian AdrianA Soviet reissued Russian Adrian
    Last edited by PapaStalin1943; 11-24-2020 at 12:03 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement A Soviet reissued Russian Adrian
    P
    Many

Hello Nikita,

I am unable to give you any proper references about such helmet, which is incredibly rare in my opinion. But I can offer you a consideration based on common sense:
    Why the RKKA should issue a helmet with the shadow of the Imperial Tsarist cockade still visible?

"The helmet itself is in my opinion undoubtedly an original imperial helmet, and I personally think that the star itself is original as well": Please explain me and share with all of us, this is an incredible difficult topic and I really would like to learn, as many others I think.

"an image that can be compared to this one": in my opinion it is not wise to determine the authenticity of such helmet by comparison with pictures, especially if coming from western collectors. It was and still is a very faked piece.

I don't like this helmet, this is my feeling. Wait for the expert collector Mixer, who in my opinion is the authority on our forum about RKKA helmets, for an authoritative opinion.

Best regards,
    Gabriele

Quote by Gabriele View Post
    "an image that can be compared to this one": in my opinion it is not wise to determine the authenticity of such a helmet by comparison with pictures, especially if coming from western collectors. It was and still is a very faked piece.
    Hi Gabriele, thanks for the reply.

I just wanted to see if there were any photos of a known authentic example of the star for future reference, and not to exactly base the authenticity of the star on some photos. Sorry for the improper wording of my original post. Also, the reasons as to why I believe the helmet itself is an original Russian Adrian, is because it has the correct Khaki paint, correct leather chinstrap, and, based on my reading, it seems as though this helmet lines up with the information given in Karabanov's section on these helmets (including the fact that some of these helmets were shipped to Russia in Horizon-blue color, and were later repainted Khaki). I do, however, think that the star could be a fake, but I still believe that even if it is, the helmet itself is an Imperial Russian Adrian. Even if the star is not original, it is definitely a very old reproduction which I am content with.

Remember that the Adrian helmet is not the most rare model, over 20 millions of model 15 were made. And there were colonial ones painted in "moutarde". Also Belgian models.

It's not an hard task to find a perfectly fine Adrian and made some changes to create a rare Imperial Russian / Soviet thing.

Also, what about the 2 holes on the front visor? They recall me a lot the holes that sometimes are on ww1 Adrian helmets here in Europe, they are very convenient to hang up the helmet at the wall.

Quote by Gabriele View Post
    Also, what about the 2 holes on the front visor? They recall me a lot the holes that sometimes are on ww1 Adrian helmets here in Europe, they are very convenient to hang up the helmet at the wall.
    Sorry, but I don't quite understand what you mean by "the 2 holes on the front visor." Do you perhaps mean the 2 holes on the front where the "prongs" of the insignia goes into?

"Wait for the expert collector Mixer, who in my opinion is the authority on our forum about RKKA helmets, for an authoritative opinion.": Yes, I am as well am looking forward to seeing what he has to say.

Seller has another Russian Adrian for sale as well (and even more non-Russian Adrians). Original? No idea, I leave this up to those who know what they are talking about.

https://www.ebay.nl/sch/m.html?item=...panmil&_sop=10

?

Thanks for your feedback on my meager knowledge. This helmet is a fake. Quite illiterately done.
    In general, about the regularly appearing super-mega rare Russian helmets of 1916-1935: the only place where they can appear is from family memorabilia, or from museum stores. In the second case, it is almost always a crime. But this is not the worst thing. Most depressing is the flagrantly low level of knowledge of the Russian museum staff about the essence of the available exhibits. At best, they know the correct name for this or that helmet. At the same time, they can easily assemble something in their opinion relating to a particular historical period from the dubious components and remakes available at hand. This is how completely unimaginable helmets with museum history and "absolutely true" legend appear.
    On the first occasion: the Soviet Union, and after the beginning of the 90s and Russia, was not the country where collecting family artifacts in the form of large collections exhibited inside dwellings was cultivated. This is primarily due to the small area of ​​housing, where the vast majority of the population lived - there is nowhere to exhibit artifacts. In the second, with large labor migration within the country, it is difficult to carry collections of ancestors with you. Thirdly, absolutely everything that could be used in everyday life was used. Especially until the early 1960s, when the garment industry began to operate steadily. In military uniforms without insignia, they went to work, Men's military overcoats were changed into women's coats. Field bags were used as briefcases. Army boots were worn by everyone except children.
    Now answer: why store a steel helmet in such a situation? You won't wear a helmet to work in the office. It is inconvenient as a saucepan. Just screw on a long stick and use it as a bucket for pumping shit out of the sump. But this is no longer collection storage.
    Therefore, there are VERY few real helmets from family collections. In my career as a collector, I have met only TWO helmets, the origin of which from the family collection I did not doubt. And both of them were not at all in their original condition. The descendants applied new paint, changed the elements of the liners. Those who sold me helmets assured me that these were original, but they did not say for sure that for three generations in the family no one could change anything in helmets. And this is absolutely correct.
    Now answer yourself - in what case can such rarities appear on sale regularly? That's right - they are specially fabricated.
    And the trouble is that it is impossible to fully disclose to everyone the mistakes and blunders of falsifiers. Because by teaching you to distinguish between the absurdities of fakes, I also have to inform the counterfeiters how to make my crafts better and more believable. Here's a vicious circle.

Some very valid points made and the vast majority of collectors often forget this. The world was in ruins, shortages of everything immediately after the war so everything that could be re-used was re-used. Clothes/uniforms stripped off insignia, fieldgear being used as regular bags, helmets being used as poopscoop or even as kitchen sieve. Grenade shells as cups after being enameled, gasmask canisters as dry storage etc etc. And in Germany and the Soviet Union evenmore than elsewhere it seems. That is why it is especially hard to find untouched Soviet items. All was re-used in whatever possible way. And that is why all these ebay auctions around the globe offering these very rare items should be watched with caution. And this seller sells many very rare items. Coincidence or perhaps a good and lucky picker? I highly doubt that. I also think those who have such rare items for sale go to an auctionhouse and not to ebay. But yeah, that's a repeating story.....

"Sorry, but I don't quite understand what you mean by "the 2 holes on the front visor." Do you perhaps mean the 2 holes on the front where the "prongs" of the insignia goes into?"
    Nope, on the front visor, there are two strange signs, I cannot tell if they are holes or something else.

Anyway, it is irrelevant now. I think we can all agree that such helmet is bad (like the 99,99999999 % of the others soviet adrians that can be found on ebay).

I know that rare things may have a very strong aura. But, as already said in more elegant way by others before me, maybe it is better to not burn the stages. In my opinion, there is a great thread about "collecting" in this forum. It is in the section pertaining the SS helmets. I have read it many times, in my opinion it is a great vademecum. My friendly advise is to read it ;D

Those holes....can it be as done with British helmets? When helmets didn't meet the required standards for frontline service 3 holes were punched to easily identify these as being not good. These still could serve in the rear so they were not a complete waste, yet just not good enough for frontline combat service.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast