Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SSH39 with mysterious liner and paint

Article about: Good evening everybody, i bought this helmet, which i presume to be an ssh39, for just a few euro last week in Czechia. The guy i got it from lives in moravia, and says he found it at his co

Default SSH39 with mysterious liner and paint

Good evening everybody, i bought this helmet, which i presume to be an ssh39, for just a few euro last week in Czechia. The guy i got it from lives in moravia, and says he found it at his cottage. The helmet is marked on the rear inside, about the same place where german lot numbers would be, with a "2- 1197". The paint reminds me of a luftschutz one. The liner is a 7 finger german style liner, except the fingers are separate from the leather ring. There's some sort of marking on the liner as well, reminiscent of a 10 in a ring. So far, the whole liner, except for the stamp, looks very close to this one on an ssh36 Spain. Russian helmet Model Ssh36. Used in the Spanish Civil War | Militaria Barcelona
    The liner band is green, and looks like a usual ssh39 liner band. Thanks in advance, i would love to get to the bottom of this.
    Richard
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SSH39 with mysterious liner and paint   SSH39 with mysterious liner and paint  

SSH39 with mysterious liner and paint   SSH39 with mysterious liner and paint  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SSH39 with mysterious liner and paint
    P
    Many

Definitly an Interesting piece, could also be an Luftschutz Reissue, judging by the paint?

I can't say I've seen a ssh39 shell with ears so pronounced like that.

Neither have i, that's why i said presumed ssh39
    the markings are in line with a 39, but the ears bulge out a tad much for me to confidently say it is a 39, hopefully someone has an answer

?

an odd one for Shure!

?

Early SSh-39s have deeper curves. There was a thread on it a while back. Not sure about the liner, definitely not a standard Soviet one.

Thanks for confirming the lid atleast. The main concern of mine is the liner tho, i'm proper confused

Hey Richard, I agree it looks like an early Ssh36 liner. Here's the description from page 30 of Dr. Clawson's book. Most likely explanation is that the original Ssh39 liner was replaced with an Ssh36 leather liner. Pretty cool if true.

I'd bet from a surface to the brim of that helmet measures 4.0 cm, making it a 1939 or early 1940 shell.

SSH39 with mysterious liner and paint

Hope that helps,

Kevin

Hey there kevin, not sure what you mean by "from the surface to the brim", but if you clarify, i have no problem measuring it

?

just love with it & enjoy it. it is just one of the anomalies!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast