Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Ssh40 pick up - Opinions appreciated

Article about: I got this Ssh40 helmet offered from a non-collector for next to nothing and thought why not? - even if the pictures he had didn't really offer much. Now that I have it in hand, it turns out

Default Ssh40 pick up - Opinions appreciated

I got this Ssh40 helmet offered from a non-collector for next to nothing and thought why not? - even if the pictures he had didn't really offer much.

Now that I have it in hand, it turns out to be a 1945 marked size 1 made by Lysvinskiy Metallurgicheskiy Zavod.

The paint which I first dismissed as being a simple over paint of never date puzzles me though. The gray over paint is definitely not anywhere near new, so I am wondering if it could be a navy re-paint. The helmet most likely originates from the Soviet occupation of the Danish island of Bornholm from 1945-1946.

Any opinions from the experts on Russian helmets would be hugely appreciated.

Regards
    Jesper

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Ssh40 pick up - Opinions appreciated
    P
    Many

That is an excellent 1945-dated example, the inside (liner, chinstrap, stamp) all appear to be original. Sorry I can’t provide any more details on the outside paint and star.
    Kevin

Hello,
    Difficult to give a definitive opinion with the given photos (more detailed ones would be good) but it looks nice.
    1945 isn't the most comon year.
    Is the color grey or could it be a withe that turned "dirty".?
    Just wondering considering the white star. (wich is stange by the way at that time)

Bruno

The colour is definitely grey. I tried taking it outside for a few mins when the sky wasn't too dark.

By trawling through whatever picture I could find of period navy helmets I have come to the conclusion that the grey colour is good. Also given the fact that this helmet came from outside collector circles, at next to no money, and allegedly came out of the island of Bornholm, which was seized from the Germans by Russian marines in May 45.

The remnants of the star still puzzles me - it has obviously been on the helmet for a VERY long time.

Regards
    Jesper

Hello Jesper,

Than you for the additional photos. The gray is a little lighter than the one we can see on page 444 of the Karabanov book.
    But is is quite close to the photo on page 236-237 where we see a young sailor painting SSh39 with a similar grey (for what i can tell from a black and wjite picture )

No explaination therefor for the star.
    This kind of shape exit but it is the first time I see it in white

Good catch

Best

Bruno