Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Tankist/VDV Helmet?

Article about: I posted this hat question on my earlier gimnasterka and telogreika question thread I had posted but after the post was several days old and probably a lot of viewers didn't know I added it

I have been following this thread with interest and it certainly is a puzzler ,a daft theory but could it be a reworked Paratrooper Airborne Jump Helmet of a more modern manufacture ,just my thoughts ,James
    Last edited by James C; 03-02-2024 at 08:24 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Tankist/VDV Helmet?
    P
    Many

Quote by James C View Post
    ive been following this thread with interest ,it certainly is a puzzler ,a daft theory but could it be a reworked Paratrooper Airborne Jump Helmet of a more modern manufacture ,just my thoughts ,james
    It could be a possibility, James. If it's Russian, anything's possible. They certainly have a history of straying outside the template when it comes to headgear. One of the things I've always admired about the Russian/Soviet military plan, is their emphasis on practicality and versatility.
    I've seen photos of Soviet paratroopers in the back of an An-12 wearing ShL-50 and ShL-58 pilot's leather flight helmets, instead of paratroop helmets. And conversely, have seen photos of aircrew ground technicians plugged into the aircraft wearing tank helmets instead of the usual flight helmets or cloth ground crew helmets. I don't think any other nation has gear that is as interchangeable as the Russian stuff.

My apologies for straying off topic. Now back to the helmet in question.

Cheers, Willie.

?

Good thought James. I went and looked it over again and I didn't see anything that appeared to be re-worked. Everything looked like it was originally made/assembled at the same time. All the thread and the thread pattern matches as well as all the material is the same including the straps. I specifically looked at the ear flaps with the pillows to see if they were added but their material is an exact match to the rest of the hat as is the thread. What ever the helmet is, it appears it was originally made the way it is, Ray

?

Well it looks like this thread has reached the end of it's interest as far as replies or further study goes, so I'm going to venture an opinion on it based on what already has been presented on this thread. And of course I'm open for any challenge to my opinion. As mentioned, any opinion on it, without any supported proof is just that, an opinion. However, absent that element one can evaluate what is the most likely conclusion of what the helmet is through a process of elimination of what it probably isn't and arrive at a logitical point. And that is how I reached my opinion. All these points were mentioned in the thread. So here we go,

1 It's not an unfinished tanker helmet. During the process of assembly of a helmet, the liner is sewn under the hem of the large flaps before the hem is sewn. In this helmet's case it appears the hem was intentionally sewn with no liner. A short cut yes, but not necessary unfinished.

2 The helmet was originally assembled as it is. No added construction or altering a post war airborne helmet.

3 A repro or copy. They generally would not be missing a liner and mike holes so they could look basically the same as a real helmet, and most likely would have metal buckles not pressed cardboard ones.

4. A very early Factory pattern/template model. The reason I don't think it is one, is that if it is a pattern/template sample why doesn't it have the mike holes which I understand was standard right from the beginning. Also it appears to have actually been used/worn because of the broken buckle and added cloth chin strap.

The pluse's for it being an original expiedient made helmet is that the construction appears to match other original helmets with the only exceptions being the missing liner, mike holes, and the pressed cardboard buckles, which may have been used due to a shortage of metal buckles or material. The cardboard buckles could easily be made with the same press used for the steel buckles. There are other instances of helmets or other items having short cuts in manufacturering during the war. Also the helmet has been used/worn demonstrated by the cloth chin strap added to tie the flaps down apparently after the buckle broke.
    Having reviewed all the facts and issues that have been presented, it's my opinion that it is an original helmet that was expedient made due to emergency war time conditions as I don't know what else it could be. Anyway, that's my opinion for what it's worth. I would appreciate any thoughts from folks if they feel I may be right or they have a different opinion on what it is, Ray
    Last edited by RayG; 03-18-2014 at 02:20 PM.

Ray i guess the only thing it can be is an early production template model of some sort ,please keep the thread open and maybe down the line somebody might just know the answer ,there's a few members on here from that part of the world and sure one of them will know something on it ,regards james
    Last edited by James C; 03-02-2024 at 08:24 PM.

Well Ray, I've tended to lean toward's your theory, and can also see a lot of merit in the idea that James has outlined above. I'd agree that the thread is worth keeping track of; someone is bound to come up with something in the future.

Cheers, Willie.

?

I had posted that idea before, see my post #20, were it maybe was a factory pattern. I should have posted that in what I thought it wasn't, in my above post. But I forgot about that one so I will edit the post to include it. The reason I don't think it is, is that it's missing the mike holes. From what I've been told, the availability for the helmets to use mikes had been considered early on. If it's a pattern one, or a prototype, why would it be missing the mike holes. Also it appears to have actually been used/worn because of the broken buckle and added cloth chin strap. However, this is only my opinion, Ray
    Last edited by RayG; 03-18-2014 at 09:39 PM.

?

I just reviewed the thread here and see that I had mentioned that the cloth had the same tight strong weave and looked the same on mine as the other period helmets but forgot to show that. So here are some photos that compare the cloth to one that's on the Collect Russian site. The 1st three photos are of the Collect Russian site ones. I know it doesn't prove any thing more, but does add meat to the mystery, Ray

PS, I just added close up photos of three more different WWII tankers helmets, (last 3 photos), I found for comparison to show the cloth weave was a standard WWII pattern.

Tankist/VDV Helmet?Tankist/VDV Helmet?Tankist/VDV Helmet?Tankist/VDV Helmet?Tankist/VDV Helmet?Tankist/VDV Helmet?Tankist/VDV Helmet?

Tankist/VDV Helmet?Tankist/VDV Helmet?Tankist/VDV Helmet?
    Last edited by RayG; 04-08-2014 at 02:57 PM.

Hello

Aren't these big black numbers typical of theaters or movies studios?

Bruno

Hello Ray ,here's another theory you might want to do some research on i have found this site ,follow the link and scroll down to the 1950's chinese copy of the soviet design ,its the best idea i can come up with since mate Chinese Helmets | ferrebeekeeperthey describe it as a crash helmet ,that might explain the lack of phones etc
    Last edited by James C; 03-02-2024 at 08:25 PM.
    Regards James

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast