Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Visor Hat M 35 Armor. Vintage ?

Article about: Ok, here is one I have a lot of mental questions about. A gray top, black velvet band and red piping. The star is an odd one to me. It has always been on the hat as the impression is stong a

Default Visor Hat M 35 Armor. Vintage ?

Ok, here is one I have a lot of mental questions about.

A gray top, black velvet band and red piping. The star is an odd one to me. It has always been on the hat as the impression is stong and there are wear marks on the band where the star's corners have dug in. I say it is odd to me because it is approx. 30mm in diameter with a rather small hammer and sickle.

The interior is lacking of any markings other than an illegible "OTK" type inspection stanp on the back side of the sweat band. The visor was damaged at some point and repaired. Not a great job, but not terrible either.

This hat has an interesting history. I got this from a close friedn/dealer/collector here in the U.S. and it had been in his personal collection for a number of years. He was the second owner, I am the third. The original owner was a U.S. Army officer who picked this hat up un Germany in 1984 or 1985 while stationed their.

The sweatband seems to be of a type that Dimas thinks is post war. The sweat band in this hat is original, non replaced. Did they make gray hats again after the war?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Visor Hat M 35 Armor. Vintage ?   Visor Hat M 35 Armor. Vintage ?  

Visor Hat M 35 Armor. Vintage ?   Visor Hat M 35 Armor. Vintage ?  

Visor Hat M 35 Armor. Vintage ?   Visor Hat M 35 Armor. Vintage ?  

Visor Hat M 35 Armor. Vintage ?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Visor Hat M 35 Armor. Vintage ?
    P
    Many

Default re: Visor Hat M 35 Armor. Vintage ?

Quote by Wesley's Dad View Post
    The star is an odd one to me. It has always been on the hat as the impression is stong and there are wear marks on the band where the star's corners have dug in. I say it is odd to me because it is approx. 30mm in diameter with a rather small hammer and sickle.
    There is nothing odd about the star, except that it is not usually the type I have seen being used on a visor-cap. It is the typical type used on Naval visor-less caps during and after the war.

However, I have found, with period photos as a reference, that stars saw mixed and matched use on all sorts of headgear.

So, I can not see any reason why that this star can not be original to the cap...

As per the rest, the "Great Grey Sweatband Theory" still remains a mystery. In my opinion, of course.

BTW: Didn't grey topped caps meant for use by armored personnel continue to be regulation / and issued up to 1942? and used until whenever by individual choice?

?

Default re: Visor Hat M 35 Armor. Vintage ?

Hy Guys!
    Here I will create my opinion, but it's just IMHO and please do not throw the stones to my side
    The all materials used on the cap is M 55 ( due of this is original m55), the sweatband etc is original to that cap, but this is postwar parade armored crew visor with reapplied visor and insignia. The velvet used on them is more rough than pre-war types. Star are OK, there was not any special patterns for Navy etc. Star is good they was found in a butch and was a bestseller in Moscow about 5-7 years ago at the "Vernisage", now the prices is higher and higher and now the star like that is about 30-50 USD.
    Navy star which is smaller is M47, but as was found in original examples or in old pictures the navy hats has a big stars as the visors, navy stars from cockades ( fashion) and some time the side hat's-small stars ( rare)

One more time this is my opinion.

Cheers,
    Dimas
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

?

Default Re: Visor Hat M 35 Armor. Vintage ?

Unfortunately good caps is harder and harder to find....
    Regards,
    Dimas

Dimas,

No stones from me... I am a humble collector. I only mention you to reference your thread on sweatbands. I did believe even before my post, that this hat was probably postwar. Only I had no knowledge of such gray hats after WW2 to verify.

I will evaluate the hat again for the visor. I have no reason to doubt the sellers source and that the hat entered the collector world in the mid-80's. Might a WW2 vet had a square visor added in the 1950's?? I ask because I have no reason to think this one is a peepa job.

Thanks for the opinions, that was my reason to post it.

?

Hi again Michael, I don't think that the vets a remade their caps in the mid of 1950's, because not of " Front fashion" was available due of strict discipline in the army. It's probably hard to explain the sweatband construction ( due of some similarity), but your is a post war example. I can't say that there was not at all war time period sweatband examples which I count as a postwar, but I've seen more than a couple of hundreds originals and newer seen one like that. The modern copies by Balai and Ukrainian has more resembling to the war time examples.
    I want to ask you about the close-ups of visor stitchings and sweatband, then I 'll try to explain you more about.
    Probably that's a nice story about 80's?

Cheers,
    Dimas
    Regards,
    Dimas

Dimas,

You could be right about the "Nice Story". I'm sure my friend didn't make it up, but certainly possible the collector he bought it from did. He has a lifetime guarantee that I may take advantage of.

Can you show an example of a M55 hat and show how the wreath work is attached to the hat band. I would like to inspect my hat for evidence that it was removed. Did it have prongs on the back like the star or was it sewn on?

You are correct about visors getting scarce these days. I have a fairly advanced collection of combat gear and uniforms, helmets etc. However, I only have three visors that I am confident in. This armor hat was not one of those luckily... I have always thought it to be suspect. Now I know for certain. Thanks for the help.

?

Unfortunanately I do nat have the M55, this is not my area. But the wreath is connected with the same type as the star. The wreath itself looks like a 80's long soviet wreath
    Regards,
    Dimas

Looks great... i know i'm totally off subject... but that visor looks like it's been bent...quite a few times!, you probably already noticed that but, i thought i'd pitch in my two cents.
    Trevor In Cali.