Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Winter War Trophy Ssh-36 with early star, and engraved name!

Article about: Hi all- I am proud to present to you all my newest addition to my collection, an Ssh-36 that the seller said he got from a collector in Finland, who allegedly said it was a war trophy (I did

Default Winter War Trophy Ssh-36 with early star, and engraved name!

Hi all- I am proud to present to you all my newest addition to my collection, an Ssh-36 that the seller said he got from a collector in Finland, who allegedly said it was a war trophy (I didn't buy it because of it's alleged story as I know it can't be confirmed, but thought it was cool to add this info nonetheless). It retains practically 100% of its paint, except for scratch marks at the rivets, as the soldier carefully removed the rivets to make room for a winter hat underneath, which just adds to the "personality" of this helmet. This helmet also has an early variant star decal on the front, what remains of a date stamp, and the owner's initials. I am going to break this post down into 3 separate posts including this one, as I have a lot of photos

Nonetheless, I present to you all the newest addition to my collection:
    Edit: I don't know why the image quality is so bad, I'll try and fix it after I get back home...

Winter War Trophy Ssh-36 with early star, and engraved name!Winter War Trophy Ssh-36 with early star, and engraved name!Winter War Trophy Ssh-36 with early star, and engraved name!Winter War Trophy Ssh-36 with early star, and engraved name!Winter War Trophy Ssh-36 with early star, and engraved name!Winter War Trophy Ssh-36 with early star, and engraved name!Winter War Trophy Ssh-36 with early star, and engraved name!Winter War Trophy Ssh-36 with early star, and engraved name!Winter War Trophy Ssh-36 with early star, and engraved name!
    Last edited by PapaStalin1943; 11-08-2020 at 01:12 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Winter War Trophy Ssh-36 with early star, and engraved name!
    P
    Many

CSW
    ?

Attachments look a bit broken... too many photos perhaps?

Yeah, I think my computer was bugging out, I’m
    Not home currently but when I do get back home I’ll try and fix it.

Edit: I fixed the files and the quality, but the pictures are in the opposite order... I give up haha (click on the images for better quality)
    Last edited by PapaStalin1943; 11-08-2020 at 01:26 AM.

Here is the initial, found in the left side of the “beak” of the helmet on the inside. In cryllic it says “Л. А. П." which in English would be “L. A. P.”

Lastly, there are a few stamps on the inside of the helmet. Firstly, there is what I believe to be a 1936 dated stamp, along with what seems to be maybe a factory Mark? It says (from what I can make out) “З й.” I believe it is a factory Mark, but I forgot which one. It also has an 8 on the top, which I originally thought meant "Size 8" but I know that they only made up to (I believe) size 3-4, and that size 8 would be waaaay too big haha. Also, there is a weird “44” stamped into the helmet, which I believe is not a soviet stamp, as I have never seen that on another Soviet helmet. Maybe it is a Finnish Mark?

Winter War Trophy Ssh-36 with early star, and engraved name!Winter War Trophy Ssh-36 with early star, and engraved name!Winter War Trophy Ssh-36 with early star, and engraved name!

CSW
    ?

I'm going to take a guess and say the 44 might have something to do with the 44th Rifle Division which took part (and was largely destroyed) in the most famous battle of the Winter War on and around the so-called Raate road. It is certainly not an official Finnish marking of any sort. An interesting piece!

Oh, wow, if that is in fact the case, that would be incredible! I think you may be correct, as that would explain how this helmet came to be captured. Honestly speaking, I had no clue what the "44" mark could have possibly been, so I just threw out a random guess. If it actually is what you say it to be, then maybe I could actually do some more research and potentially find the soldier that this helmet belonged to as his initials are present

?

Highly likely ink stamp - ZI-37. The shape of the stamp indicates this. ZI - "Za Industrializatsiyu" - "За индустриализацию" - "For industrialization". LMZ then called Lysvensky metalluogichesky plant named "For Industrialization" newspaper".

Quote by mixer View Post
    Highly likely ink stamp - ZI-37. The shape of the stamp indicates this. ZI - "Za Industrializatsiyu" - "За индустриализацию" - "For industrialization". LMZ then called Lysvensky metalluogichesky plant named "For Industrialization" newspaper".
    Thank you mixer! '37 is still fine with me Also, do you know what that "8" at the top of the stamp may be?

Edit: I was looking back at the photos, and I zoomed in and it seems like the "8" is in fact a "3," which makes a lot more sense, and now I realize that it was pretty obvious

Upon further research, I believe that this helmet is indeed dated 1936, as the stamped markings match more/looks more similar to the 1936 "sloppy" stamp style than to the 1937 style that is more "clean." But then again, it could be an early '37 type stamp, but I think that is unlikely as they changed the front star decal in 1937.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast