Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 "Wired" Ssh39 or Ssh40 helmets ?

Article about: Hello All, I had a couple of questions regarding the "Wiring" of Helmets by Soviet soldiers for use in holding foliage for camouflage, (utilizing steel fence wire, chicken coop mes

Default WW2 "Wired" Ssh39 or Ssh40 helmets ?

Hello All,

I had a couple of questions regarding the "Wiring" of Helmets by Soviet soldiers for use in holding foliage for camouflage, (utilizing steel fence wire, chicken coop mesh wire, or bare solid steel wire)

1) was this ever done in the field?

2) If so, Are there any examples of them in collections or in photos?

Any help would be very appreciateed

Thanks in advance.

Don S

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WW2 "Wired" Ssh39 or Ssh40 helmets ?
    P
    Many

Default Re: WW2 "Wired" Ssh39 or Ssh40 helmets ?

I know that the Germans did what you refer to, but I am not aware of Red Army troops doing it in any great numbers, if at all.

There were camouflage helmet covers used by the Red Army, primarily in the far east before the outbreak of the GPW, but that practice did not seem to be well received, and was discontinued by 1941.

Camouflage helmet covers do not make a return to the Soviet Army/Russian Army until the very late 80s, and really took off in the 90s.

I hope this helps with your research.

Boridin

?

When thinking of your question i just realize i have never noticed any pics of Soviet soldiers with helmet "wiring", or foliage helmets for that matter. Maybe it was not allowed? Don't know.

Regards, Lars

?

Here - using captured German standard trench grid. It was found near Leningrad.WW2 "Wired" Ssh39 or Ssh40 helmets ?
    I apologize to colleagues for using their photos without permission

Lars;

I don't know that it was not permitted, just that it was not popular, and therefore not common. Scouts, and snipers did many things that were not done in general line units. Use of camouflage, use of enemy weapons, and other sorts of things.

Generally speaking, I have read that many Red Army troops did not like wearing helmets at all. Not for any comfort reason, but because it wasn't "manly", ie cowardly. In many cases, the troops had to be ordered to wear them, and threatened with punishment to enforce this. I do not know how widespread any of that was, but I have read of it.

Boridin

?

Quote by mixer View Post
    Here - using captured German standard trench grid. It was found near Leningrad.WW2 "Wired" Ssh39 or Ssh40 helmets ?
    I apologize to colleagues for using their photos without permission
    Really nice looking relic mixer