Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

WWII Soviet Tanker Helm (Springtime variant??) 1943 dated (picture heavy)

Article about: Hi everyone. So, as I am guessing most of you as well have, I have a ‘bucket list’ of items I want to own in my collection, and one of them that’s high on the list is to purchase an original

Quote by Woolgar View Post
    Where are the photos?
    I am going to keep it outside for a few more days, as the smell hasn't aired out yet. I kept it in my room for a day, and the room filled with that smell, so I think id rather wait a few more days

Also, it is finals week in school, and I have sports right after school, so I have a very busy week. But, I will most certainly post photos of the helm this weekend (most likely on Sunday).

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WWII Soviet Tanker Helm (Springtime variant??) 1943 dated (picture heavy)
    P
    Many

Take the photos outside where the helmet is. We won't notice the smell on the photos

?

I think you will find the date year on the middle line of this stamp, rather than the usual bottom right.

You should see the month and year, or just the year, flanking an outline hammer and sickle device; here it looks like ‘19 * something’, though it is beyond my eyesight...

I see no problems with the helmet and would say you have a good example... apart from the smell.
    Looking forward to seeing it!

All the best,
    Bob

Hi all. I just got back home, and it is finally a nice and warm day, so I seized the moment and took some clear photos of it. I think this is a prime example of a nice, earlier tanker helmet.

Edit: I tried to highlight the parts of the stamp as I can make out.

WWII Soviet Tanker Helm (Springtime variant??) 1943 dated (picture heavy)WWII Soviet Tanker Helm (Springtime variant??) 1943 dated (picture heavy)WWII Soviet Tanker Helm (Springtime variant??) 1943 dated (picture heavy)WWII Soviet Tanker Helm (Springtime variant??) 1943 dated (picture heavy)WWII Soviet Tanker Helm (Springtime variant??) 1943 dated (picture heavy)WWII Soviet Tanker Helm (Springtime variant??) 1943 dated (picture heavy)WWII Soviet Tanker Helm (Springtime variant??) 1943 dated (picture heavy)WWII Soviet Tanker Helm (Springtime variant??) 1943 dated (picture heavy)WWII Soviet Tanker Helm (Springtime variant??) 1943 dated (picture heavy)WWII Soviet Tanker Helm (Springtime variant??) 1943 dated (picture heavy)WWII Soviet Tanker Helm (Springtime variant??) 1943 dated (picture heavy)WWII Soviet Tanker Helm (Springtime variant??) 1943 dated (picture heavy)

I am not experienced on these but from what I see here I like and resembles the originals I have seen. Good purchase!

Congrats ! A fine addition to your collection

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

Yep, a lovely early- to mid-war example... Congratulations!

I am now thinking the date stamp indicates September (9) to the left of the sickle device (as there is a ‘double line’ to the border that I originally mistook for 1).
    The 4 of 194* can just be determined, though I am still at a loss as to the final digit of the year.

Frankly, it doesn’t really matter... it is (to use that dreadful expression) a ‘one-looker’.

By the way, the apparent ‘outline’ to the hammer & sickle device and the double line I mentioned is actually just a buildup of ink that has squidged out the sides of the stamp, rather than a deliberate outline or separately drawn lines.
    If that makes sense.

Well done, Papa!
    Bob

Thanks for the info Kohima.

So are you saying that you believe the stamp dates it to September of 194[?]

Anyways, thank you all for the kind words and knowledge.

?

Yes, indeed. September 1940-something.
    That’s the best I can do, at present, but I shall keep trying!

It’s a game of ‘guess the font’! You have to half-ignore the outline squidge and try to read the remains of the true stamping...

It might pay to slightly dampen the area. A potentially harmful thing, if badly done. All too often, I/we have seen people spit on the date stamp and smear it over with their thumbs! Horror of horrors! A great way to rub off what little may remain.

If done, use a little water in a garden mist squirty bottle. A little at a time, at a good distance, so as not to soak it and risk leaving water damage. The white ink may appear bolder against the slightly darkened background cloth. If not, don’t push it.
    Don’t touch the area, photograph it if possible, and leave it to dry naturally. The photograph will give you a permanent record you can keep with the helmet, and you will never have to do it again.

If done good spraying some misty water works perfect yes. It will dry without any damages or without leaving stains of some sort. Just don't soak the fabric. Only slightly moisturize it.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast