Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

WWII Soviet Tanker Helm (Springtime variant??) 1943 dated (picture heavy)

Article about: Hi everyone. So, as I am guessing most of you as well have, I have a ‘bucket list’ of items I want to own in my collection, and one of them that’s high on the list is to purchase an original

Default WWII Soviet Tanker Helm (Springtime variant??) 1943 dated (picture heavy)

Hi everyone. So, as I am guessing most of you as well have, I have a ‘bucket list’ of items I want to own in my collection, and one of them that’s high on the list is to purchase an original tanker helmet, as I have always been fascinated with tanks (specifically Soviet) and my great uncles’ father was a tank crewman in (from what research I have done) an IS-2. Anyways, a seller that I (and some other forum members) have done business before in the past messaged me today saying they put a tanker helmet for sale. It seems legit from my research, but of course I would not feel comfortable buying without a second opinion. This tanker helmet looks similar to this one posted by Marinecollector42 Soviet WWII cloth tanker helmet-early version?. These are both from the same seller. I am not sure about the stamp.

I do not now much info on these tanker helmets, and have only been able to find few links of info online, and most information I know about these has come from the forum. I would love if you guys can help me understand how to tell if it is fake, or what types of variations and models there are. Thanks.

(I will post photos below)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WWII Soviet Tanker Helm (Springtime variant??) 1943 dated (picture heavy)
    P
    Many

I asked the seller for more photos, will post them once I receive them. I believe the buttons are all postwar at the very least.

WWII Soviet Tanker Helm (Springtime variant??) 1943 dated (picture heavy)WWII Soviet Tanker Helm (Springtime variant??) 1943 dated (picture heavy)WWII Soviet Tanker Helm (Springtime variant??) 1943 dated (picture heavy)WWII Soviet Tanker Helm (Springtime variant??) 1943 dated (picture heavy)WWII Soviet Tanker Helm (Springtime variant??) 1943 dated (picture heavy)WWII Soviet Tanker Helm (Springtime variant??) 1943 dated (picture heavy)WWII Soviet Tanker Helm (Springtime variant??) 1943 dated (picture heavy)WWII Soviet Tanker Helm (Springtime variant??) 1943 dated (picture heavy)WWII Soviet Tanker Helm (Springtime variant??) 1943 dated (picture heavy)

Hello,

The pictures are not the best, but It could be a good one, I like the construction and the fabric looks correct.

The marking is unintelligible, but maybe with a wet sponge it could become a little better...

Please, explain why you think the buttons (i see only one by the way, where are the others?) are post war made ;D

Best regards
    Gabriele

Hi, thanks for your response. I believe the buttons are postwar, because they look almost identical to the ones on the post of Marinecollector42’s tanker helmet, which it says in the thread they are postwar. Then again, I don’t know lots of information about these helmets, so I can still be wrong.

Maybe I'm not reading correctly the thread, but imo he didn't say they are postwar. They are described as "... early steel black buttons..." and "... buttons are unmarked...".

Actually, this is the description of a pre/early war button

Anyway, wait for better pictures and then decide. It could be a good original.

Oops, I read it wrong as well, sorry

Quote by Gabriele View Post
    Please, explain why you think the buttons (i see only one by the way, where are the others?
    I believe that it is correct for this variant of tanker helmet to have 1 button only, as the buttons for the war flaps are replaced by a sort of “buckle” system. At first I thought this was not correct, but after doing some digging, I found a wartime picture that shows this on a helmet. I will post the image below, along with a comparison of this helmet.

WWII Soviet Tanker Helm (Springtime variant??) 1943 dated (picture heavy)WWII Soviet Tanker Helm (Springtime variant??) 1943 dated (picture heavy)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWII Soviet Tanker Helm (Springtime variant??) 1943 dated (picture heavy)  

The seller sent me some clearer photos of the stamp. I think I can just barely make out a ‘41 year date? What should I ask for more pictures of? Thanks for all your help.

Regards, Nikita.

WWII Soviet Tanker Helm (Springtime variant??) 1943 dated (picture heavy)WWII Soviet Tanker Helm (Springtime variant??) 1943 dated (picture heavy)WWII Soviet Tanker Helm (Springtime variant??) 1943 dated (picture heavy)

?

There's nothing wrong with the buttons or buckles here in my view. You get many variations; sometimes there's a loop for the button, sometimes there's a popper. The buttons can be plain or with stars. Some versions have a retaining strap over the top for the adjusting strap. Earlier versions have a more elaborate arrangement for the audio gear.

Its looking good...have you bought it yet?

Don't loose it! If you dont buy it I will

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast