Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Yet Another Pilotka I.D

Article about: Hello collectors, Here is the first Pilotka I ever purchased during the summer of 2020, at the time I did not know much about them and mostly bought it out on a whim, the seller claimed it w

Default Yet Another Pilotka I.D

Hello collectors, Here is the first Pilotka I ever purchased during the summer of 2020, at the time I did not know much about them and mostly bought it out on a whim, the seller claimed it was from ww2 in the title but even I knew that was probably false, however it does look quite old, if not at least from the 1950s, the inside of the folds have some interesting markings seen in one of the pictures below with a cutout that I've never seen on any other pilotka. There is a convenient "Smudge" right on the last two digits of the date which leads to even more suspect. If anybody could help me identify the era of manufacture that would be greatly appreciated, and if you need better pictures let me know, My picture taking skills and photo booth are not of the best quality so I Apologize.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Yet Another Pilotka I.D   Yet Another Pilotka I.D  

Yet Another Pilotka I.D   Yet Another Pilotka I.D  

Yet Another Pilotka I.D   Yet Another Pilotka I.D  

Yet Another Pilotka I.D  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Yet Another Pilotka I.D
    P
    Many

I have seen this pilotka being reviewed either here on this forum or on another forum, probably some year ago, can't realy remember exactly. Anyone out there with a better memory than me?

?

Presumably the removed fabric inside the flap had a date indication too...

Does the top line of the stamp read МЛП УССР? If so that would confirm it as post war.

The cap badge is wartime pattern. It was adopted in 1939 but over the years, the quality and amount of lovely red enamel used diminished to the extent that badges like this often look like their non-magnetic 60s descendants.

It's a presentable pilotka with interesting, personalised markings. What a shame someone had to mess with it to try and make a bit more money.

I have a very similar early 50s one.
    Last edited by Boycie; 12-24-2020 at 08:13 AM.

I believe the top line of the stamp does read that, which doesn't surprise me, I paid 54 dollars US for this cap mostly on a whim but I don't feel super bad about that price, I am unsure if the seller had tampered with the cap or a previous owner did. Regardless I do still think it has a lot of character and I had a staunch feeling it was close post war, thank you for your analysis.

?

A fair price for a late 40s, early 50s pilotka in my view.

My main interest is WW2 but I have plenty of immediate post-war era items because they have their own story and serve as useful comparisons.

I initially wanted to collect WW2 mainly until I faced the fact of how expensive it all is, I'm very happy with my mix of cold war and ww2 collecting instead,