Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Unit marked Reichsheer belt and buckle

Article about: Hey gang...Here's my newest set....A Reichsheer belt and buckle that have been together since they first met....Ahhhhh - a marriage that has lasted 71 years! I know these two have been toget

?

Default Re: Unit marked Reichsheer belt and buckle

The leather tab is not original to the belt buckle. How do I know?
    The stitching is hand done. That is why there is a space between each stitch instead of a continual run like a machine makes. Look at the sticthes on the belt tounge as compared to the buckle tab.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Unit marked Reichsheer belt and buckle
    P
    Many

Hi SteveR, Sorry mate; but I have to disagree. Looks like a repair job that was done at the time when the original stitching came loose with wear. It's pretty clear the belt and buckle has had plenty of use. Be interesting to see what other members think. Cheers, Richard.

I too think that the tab is original to the buckle. Stitching might be a period repair - that in no way means that the tab wasn't there before. Why add a tab??? For the unit markings perhaps? Unit markings mean that the rig was "owned" by the unit itself no? (Mean to be returned if the soldat left the unit)....If the tab was added it could have been so that the buckle could be stamped, like the belt.
    In any case - wether it's a repair or original - it was done "back in the day".
    Cheers!
    Rob

This is a pre 1921 Reichswehr unit mark. The Reichswehr was made up of the remnants of the Imperial Army, and comprised of over 400,000 men in more than 110 Regiments.

In 1921 the Allied Commission mandated that it be reduced to 100,000 men in 7 Divisions comprised of 21 Infantry Regts. and 18 Cavalry Regts. Many of the units were dissolved and reformed retaining only senior NCOs to maintain an experienced and well trained Army. Known as the "Army of Sergeants". The 68th Artillery Regt. was dissolved in the reorganization of 1921.

The belt is additionally marked to the Imperial 2nd Artillery Regt. 4th Battery.

Hi Skookum! That is very interesting to read. It is certainly different info than what I was told (see beginning of the thread). I appreciate your input!

Cheers!

Rob

Rob,

It's the only other explanation , unless this was a residual buckle issued early in the formation of the Wehrmacht, circa 1934. Nearly every transformation or reoranization of Reichswehr units, to Wehrmacht units, took place in the Fall (Oct.) of 1934.

Ron

Hard to tell for sure - but I appreciate your thoughts on this one. Very interesting indeed to look at it from that point of view. Not sure if that would make this buckle somewhat "harder to find".

Cheers!

Rob

Rob,

The tab is the rarity. The buckles themselves are fairly common.

Ron

Hey Ron....Yes, I know about the buckles. I have three....they don't go for much. I was asking about the markings. Nice to know buddy! Thanks!

Rob

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2