Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Wiking buckle from Estonia

Article about: Hey, just found it 2 hours ago. It was between timber in my wood shed....Grandpa was afraid of the russians, so he destroyed all his stuff. If you can give me any info on it, would be nice.

?

Default Wiking buckle from Estonia

Hey, just found it 2 hours ago.
    It was between timber in my wood shed....Grandpa was afraid of the russians, so he destroyed all his stuff.

If you can give me any info on it, would be nice.

Should I clean it and if then how, to preserve it?

Last edited by Leaf6; 05-25-2019 at 02:59 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Wiking buckle from Estonia
    P
    Many

Hello and welcome to the forum.
    We do not allow the use of outside photo hosting sites here.
    Please follow the instructions in this thread to upload your photos directly to your post.
    Visual Guide to Upload Photos
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

Sorry, Images were too large ...downscaled and removed link:
    If anyone wants a macro or a zoom-in of an area, just ask.

I have not polished it, but as far as I can see, there are no markings on it.

?

The Buckle shows very little wear to the detail. Wonder how the prong got broken off. Looks like it still has a lot of the original paint. If you are going to clean it, I wouldn’t use any chemicals.

If you wish to clean it, I would suggest gentle soap, and water, and a toothbrush.
    Be sure to dry it thoroughly after.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

Hi Leaf ,

Which part of Eesti are you from ?

The buckle is a Heer ( German Army ) one , not bad condition for having been in a woodshed for 75 years !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

Hey,

I am from Sindi (near Pärnu)

Odd to me is Estonian s were considered as volounteers, so we should have had different buckles.

The buckle as stated is Heer (army) buckle. As to maker not really sure. A light wash with soapy water and a gentle brush with a toothbrush will remove any soil. Make sure its completely dry afterwards.
    Ben

RMD
    ?

Quote by Leaf6 View Post
    Hey,

I am from Sindi (near Pärnu)

Odd to me is Estonian s were considered as volounteers, so we should have had different buckles.
    .. True, but I think it depends on what period in the war we are talking about. My grandfather started out with Italian gear, but ended his service with a mix-match of items. In fact, in his house, he had many more NSDAP items than he did Italian Fascist. Had some Hungarian items as well, want to say, ammo pouch, if I remember correctly.. Wouldn't surprise me that some Estonian troops were sporting German gear.

.. Anyway. Nice buckle