Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

1943 Tropical Mantel

Article about: ...But not just a tropical greatcoat, a blanket lined wachmantel. Has anyone else seen a 1943 dated tropical coat of any kind? There must be others out there. Tropical uniforms were manufact

?

Default 1943 Tropical Mantel

...But not just a tropical greatcoat, a blanket lined wachmantel.
    Has anyone else seen a 1943 dated tropical coat of any kind? There must be others out there. Tropical uniforms were manufactured through to 1944, so, surely....
    The last photo is a side by side comparison with a 1941 dated tropical coat I have - a little more brown than olive, but not by much....
    Mark
    NZ
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1943 Tropical Mantel   1943 Tropical Mantel  

1943 Tropical Mantel   1943 Tropical Mantel  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 1943 Tropical Mantel
    P
    Many

Hi Mark, not seen one before but I like it.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Mark, not seen one before but I like it.

Hello,
    same here....very nice piece of tropical clothing
    thanks for sharing Mark
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

?

Thank You Both for your replies.
    I am pleased to have it! It's in dire need of a dry-clean and very dirty, but solid and the stitching is strong.
    Here is an image of a blanket lined coat in Africa. I've also attached images of what could also be the blanket lined version as opposed to the quilt version I also have.
    Regards,
    Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1943 Tropical Mantel   1943 Tropical Mantel  

Hi Mark, compliments for your splendid new acquisition. Just a curiousity: is the wool cloth of the recycled type (considering the manufacturing date should be of this kind, in line as the Feldgrau production) or it has the beginning war standard ?

?

Quote by Alessandro View Post
    Hi Mark, compliments for your splendid new acquisition. Just a curiousity: is the wool cloth of the recycled type (considering the manufacturing date should be of this kind, in line as the Feldgrau production) or it has the beginning war standard ?
    Great question (and Thank You. It's an exciting step forward in our understanding of manufacture timelines). It is actually almost exactly the same as the 1941 dated tropical coat I laid it beside as a colour comparison, maybe a hint more olive than brown. You can clearly see the weft/weave are so similar they could be from the same mill.
    The black lining itself is also a very good grade and matches a 1939 dated (continental) wachmantel I used to own - and regret parting with. The shell on that coat was, without doubt, a far better quality blend.
    Regards,
    Mark
    NZ
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1943 Tropical Mantel