Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Afrika Korps Bagde real or fake ?

Article about: Hi I have the oportunity to purchase the Badge pictured but I have noticed differences in the eagle to other known Examples on the internet ,Can you tell if its real or a repro ? I am new to

Default Afrika Korps Bagde real or fake ?

Hi I have the oportunity to purchase the Badge pictured but I have noticed differences in the eagle to other known Examples on the internet ,Can you tell if its real or a repro ? I am new to this thanks

Note Hole where the eagles tail should be
    Afrika Korps Bagde  real or fake ?Afrika Korps Bagde  real or fake ?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Afrika Korps Bagde  real or fake ?
    P
    Many

There should not be a hole there but, it appears to be an original by Gustav Brehmer.
    You can see the maker's mark on the lower left on the reverse photo.
    It is always difficult to tell from poor photos.
    Here is my example by this maker to compare.
    Ralph.

Afrika Korps Bagde  real or fake ?

Also, it is not necessarily Afrika Corp. it is a pith helmet shield.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

original as stated, looks to have been screwed/nailed to something to display it at some stage.

I am not sure if the Germans used Pith to make their WWII troppenhelms?
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Hello,
    Just corrected the title as "Afrika Cor" made my eyes bleed....
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    I am not sure if the Germans used Pith to make their WWII troppenhelms?

I think you are correct Jerry. I'm pretty sure they would have no access to Pith (aka Sholapith) which I believe comes from the Indian sub-continent (particularly Bangladesh and West Bengal as they are named today).

I don't think I would argue the point as I have never looked that closely but I think they probably used 'Cork' which is from the Cork Oak that grows in South West Europe and (I think?) North West Africa to which they would have access during the period.

The misunderstanding probably comes from the colloquial name 'Indian Cork' sometimes applied to Sholapith.

A divergence I know from the thread subject but related to the subject of the Troppenhelm often referred to as a Pith Helmet which of course it isn't. I think that generically along with all similar headgear they could be described as a 'Solar Topee'

I love this sort of minutiae, it just adds to the "depth of knowledge" in a subject

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Sorry for the bleeding eyes I will be more careful in future I hope Ha ha

Thank you everyone for your expertise and if anyone else has anything else to add I would be interested in learrning

I end buying the badge in a bulk lot for $70 AU so it works out to be $2.17 each if theres anything you my recognise from the Axis powers amongst them let know Cheers Glen

Afrika Korps Bagde  real or fake ?Afrika Korps Bagde  real or fake ?Afrika Korps Bagde  real or fake ?Afrika Korps Bagde  real or fake ?

If I can piggyback with my BURNT set, do we know the makers of these?
    Obviously the shield is alloy and Assmann made, but the Eagle is stamped "metal / zinc" and I cannot find any stamps.... is there a list?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Afrika Korps Bagde  real or fake ?   Afrika Korps Bagde  real or fake ?  

" I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

[QUOTE=Viridian;2219290]I end buying the badge in a bulk lot for $70 AU so it works out to be $2.17 each if theres anything you my recognise from the Axis powers amongst them let know QUOTE]

Apart from the shield under discussion I can't see any other Axis items and all except the random civilian lapel pin(?) all appear to be British of which a good proportion are cap badges.
    The picture are not good enough for authentication but if even half are genuine and in good condition ie fully intact, then I would say you have done very well here.

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 01-08-2022 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Grammar
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast