Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Armelband Afrika/ Bevo

Article about: Gents, I tried to our over as many threads I could on the Afrika cuff title within in our Forum before making the purchase and didn't see anything about Bevo not being of Third Reich manufac

Default Armelband Afrika/ Bevo

Gents,

I tried to go over as many threads I could on the Afrika cuff title within in our Forum before making the purchase and didn't see anything about Bevo not being of Third Reich manufacture until after my purchase. None the less, the item was cheap enough and decided to make the purchase and see if that is the same school of thought. Is there any evidence that there may have been private purchases or "officer" cuff titles that were produced in Bevo?

This item is convincing enough with a soft camel hair feel and certainly it smells and looks of being very old. I know that items produced in the 1980's and 70's are showing their age as well. (including myself)

I love to see what insight you can provide me and I'm always willing to learn.

Thank you!

Joel
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Armelband Afrika/ Bevo   Armelband Afrika/ Bevo  

Armelband Afrika/ Bevo   Armelband Afrika/ Bevo  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Armelband Afrika/ Bevo
    P
    Many

Unless I am mistaken I think you are referring to something other than "bevo" as that is not the style of this armband.
    But the armband in questions has all the hallmarks of the usual 1980s-Current fakes. Wrong colour cloth and type, the usual cheese cloth stitching base and the strange type of embroidery.
    The text should be stitched directly to the brushed tan camel hair construction.

Morris

Morris,

I thank you for your insight. The attempt was made to try and pour over our great Forum's resources but with spotty cell phone reception and limited time, I went against my better judgement with an impulse buy.. The silver lining is that it was inexpensive and coincidentally matched my membership fee. Lesson learned...

Would you mind elaborating somewhat on cuff titles and other German textile militaria manufactured in the 1980’s, or post-war for that matter? Were there known manufacturers that produced copies?

Sometimes at shows or auctions, I will come across supposedly-original items such as a DAK M41 cap, for example.
    Initially, it will appear to be legit, but there might me something about it that just doesn’t seem quite right.
    I will often give it the “smell” test, and many times they DO smell old. If you are a collector, you probably know this odor yourself.

And to your point, textiles made in the 1970’s or 1980’s are now 40-50 years old.

I’m not sure if this is old enough, however, to have that same musty smell?
    Or maybe so?

Thanks,
    JB

JB,

I'm curious as well on this subject. I've been primarily an Imperial German collector and occasionally as is the case with this cuff-title, I tried to perform my due diligence and look over the valued information that can be derived from our great Forum. However, with the reasons stated above, I went on an impulse buy..(Tsk, Tsk!) I know, however, thank God I still have the restraint to do so on cheaper items..

The problem allies with the fact that the 1970's and 1980's produced items are certainly showing their age and are more and more convincing to be period made items. This Forum is an amazing resource and I wish my cell phone service had been better to use it... Knowledge is the key!!