Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Best way to store a Tunic

Article about: Hello, I would like some opinions on the best way to store a tunic, unfortunately I don’t have the space for a dummy to display it one so it would be on a coat hanger. If I did get the tun

Default Best way to store a Tunic

Hello, I would like some opinions on the best way to store a tunic, unfortunately I don’t have the space for a dummy to display it one so it would be on a coat hanger. If I did get the tunic I would hang it up in a good quality dust resistant suit bag and maybe add one or two moth balls in the bottom. Does that sound like a good storage method for a long period of time? Last question is temp and humidity, how may that affect the tunic?

The tunic itself is a near mint Heer M36 and I don’t want to seriously consider buying it unless I know 100% I can properly store it.

Thank you,
    Bodhi

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Best way to store a Tunic
    P
    Many

You've got the right idea already. The suit cover will protect it from insects, and as long as it isn't in direct sunlight or exposed to intense artificial light, it'll be fine. Textiles don't suffer anywhere near as much from heat and humidity as materials like leather, rubber and metal. As long as the environment in the room is comfortable for you, it will be suitable for the uniform.

Even inside the bag, it's important that you check it for signs of moth damage regularly. They're sneaky little buggers, and they have a tendency to appear in places they shouldn't be able to reach.

B.B.

Bodhi,

BB has offered some great advice and suggestions and if I may add from a museum curator's perspective here are some of our Best Practices that we use...See the link below..

The suit bag will be fine but if hanging I would suggest padded hangars, not metal. You can get some muslin cloth to build a barrier between the plastic and or wood and ensure that the padding is thick enough to support the shoulder areas of the tunic or after hanging for a long period of time it can develop stress in the seams and start to separate. I would also has ample space between other items so the uniform is not squashed between other articles of clothing.

The best way to store this tunic would be in an archival garment box laid flat or in a flat Christmas tree ornament type of tub that can slide under a bed. You can line the tub with muslin cloth and form a barrier between the plastic and the cloth. If laying flat I would also get tissue paper and stuff the sleeves to build them up so the fabric does not lay on itself if that makes sense. Also place some tissue paper on the inside to build up the tunic so it would appear that the chest area is puffed up, Again just to have the form remain.

I did a few tutorials on this on another forum..

Here is a link, hopefully you can view this and get some basic ideas.

Preservation and Storage of pants

Smitty

The only thing I would add to B.B. comments would be to add shoulder pads on the hangers. Common item for female dresses but there is no shame in that.
    John

Thank you B.B. and Smitty for the advice, it’s a big help. I’ll see if there is anywhere I can store it flat and I’ll also find space if I need to hang it. Now I know I’ll be able to store it I’ll start to consider it. Thank you!

Thank you John, I will look at getting my hands on some.

Good luck Bodhi,

Hope you can get your tunic..

Best regards, stay safe

Smitty

Quote by Rescue190 View Post
    The only thing I would add to B.B. comments would be to add shoulder pads on the hangers. Common item for female dresses but there is no shame in that.
    John
    Yes, I forgot to add this. I use broad hangers wherever possible (the kind designed for hanging expensive suits). If I have to use a regular hanger, I wrap the arms with acid-free tissue paper and stuff more tissue into the shoulders of the uniform. I’ll also use wood rather than plastic where I can, to prevent out-gassing.

B.B.

I’ll put up a thread on the tunic in question now, thank you all once again for the help.

Wish I could comment here! but I can't!!!!!.......

?

Hi Bodhi, I recommend these covers:-

Tyvek Protective Clothing Covers for individual items and clothing rails - Preservation Equipment Ltd

Specifically this size for tunics:- 212-7001 Jacket Garment Cover | 1030mm H x 600mm W - Not Gusseted

Some info from the manufacturer regarding Tyvek:-

Archival garment covers for the protection of a range of garments including jackets, coats and dresses in various lengths and sizes. Covers offer acid free conservation quality protection from water, dust, pests, mould, light and accidental damage. A proven protective cover for textiles, PEL’s Tyvek Garment Covers provide a barrier to dust and spores and prevent the growth of fungi or bacteria. Tyvek fulfils the function of a permeable non-abrasive waterproof, dustproof barrier.Bespoke tyvek covers

Made From Inert Tyvek
    Useful to Store And Move Garments Daily
    Anti-Static
    Non Linting
    Fully Enclosed
    Protects Against Pests, Dust, Mould, Accidental Damage and fading

With the tie at the top they are completely sealed.

Regards, Paul
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Best way to store a Tunic   Best way to store a Tunic  

Attached Images Attached Images Best way to store a Tunic