Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cloth /fabric identification

Article about: Hello all. In the "Western allies -> Uniforms" forum I posted a wool ike jacket/battledress for identification purposes. It is a home made work possibly from some other garment.

?

Default Cloth /fabric identification

Hello all.
    In the "Western allies -> Uniforms" forum I posted a wool ike jacket/battledress for identification purposes. It is a home made work possibly from some other garment. The color is dark grey, the lining is blue-gray as can be seen on the inside of the sleeve. A forum member pointed out that the wool, although heavily worn out might be of german origin. The same can be said regarding the lining. I am posting couple of pictures and a link to the discussion where more photos are available. I would be most thankful if you would share your opinions, if it is indeed german ww2 cloth and, if possible, what garment was used to make this. I was thinking luftwaffe greatcoat but am not sure. In the last two pictures it is compared to a geniune worn out german wool (partisan cap). I think the weave on both fabrics might be "half twill".

Thank you all and best regards,
    D

Help! Unknown Ike jacket

Cloth /fabric identificationCloth /fabric identificationCloth /fabric identificationCloth /fabric identificationCloth /fabric identificationCloth /fabric identification
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cloth /fabric identification  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Cloth /fabric identification
    P
    Many

?

Dear all! Any piece of information or opinion would help. Although the silence is also informative

?

One must be patient sometimes, there are members from around the world here and as many different time zones, it is Election day in the U.S. and members may be busy.
    Last edited by Gwar; 11-04-2020 at 02:37 AM.
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

DRus,

I am going to go out on a very wide limb here and suggest that this might be a post war piece of clothing that was modified from a wartime (meaning pre-May 1945) piece of German clothing by a German POW who was interned in either a British, French or American POW camp. The person may have tailored a damaged long overcoat as you suggested into this shortened version of the US "Ike Jacket" or British or French battledress. As many Germans were in captivity for a few years after the war upon repatriation the clothing they went into captivity with was either confiscated, well worn out or battle damaged making it unwearable and unserviceable. The material could have also been dyed with ink in order to give more of a "civilian look" rather than that of a uniform look upon returning home. One of the buttons looks to be French which may indicate their presence in a French camp (AGAIN PURE THEORY HERE)…

This is just a very broad speculation and guess..

An alternate theory is that this could have been made by an Allied POW in a German POW camp and was part of "escape clothing" that was tailored for use as a workman's uniform,, although the short battledress appearance may be a dead giveaway that the person wearing it was not of German origin.. There is factual evidence that British POWs dyed their flight uniforms with ink and dye and used them in escape attempts to blend into the population..

I am really going with my gut and think that it is my former theory about being worn by a German Soldier returning home after the war and captivity..

Smitty

Possibly a post-war modified late war M44 tunic?

E-Medals had this late war Bluse for sale and the similarity to the Bluse posted appears pretty close. I think I spotted the outline of a Litzen on the first photo. It appears to me the pockets were altered and the length was shortened and extra material was used to make the waist belt. Neil

Cloth /fabric identification

?

The jacket would also have to have been relined if it was an M44?
    I think the lining was restricted to friction points in an economy measure on the M44.
    Feldbluse 44 - YouTube
    Credit to this great YouTube channel .

If it was modified for civilian use after the war, I see no reason why this would not have been done.

Cheers,
    Steve

?

I am most thankful to all the opinions stated above. I am tempted to conclude the fabric really is of german origin in the first place. If this is true, the question of original garment used arises. I've considered greatcoats, M44 jackets or even fliegerbluse, and there are details that don't really match up. The closest I think could be a type of gratcoat but the back of the jacket doesn't add up. Regardless I've stumbled upon one coat on ebay that I am posting bellow. I don't know the model. Please bare with me as I do not collect german militaria and therefore lack the proper knowledge.

Regards,
    Domen

Cloth /fabric identificationCloth /fabric identificationCloth /fabric identificationCloth /fabric identificationCloth /fabric identification

The second garment should be posted separately. However, it appears to be a heavily modified Luftwaffe Mantel. Neil

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast