Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11

CTF's Uniform Collection

Article about: Courtesy of my cross-town friend, a Panzer waffenrock for a reserve Hauptmann attached to a Panzerzug (armored train)--it is as mint as the day it was made:

This is the Austrian custom made Heer general. I would date it as just post Anschluss period. This uniform should be a rarer example than the many Third Reich Heer generals out there, simply due to numbers. Can’t “position” this $ wise in comparison to TR Heer generals as to value and desirability, since this appears to be one of a kind.

Tunic is a smooth, slightly mottled grey wool, with stone gray generals trousers. Note the insignia gilt wire all matching gilt wire bullion, with the Larisch tabs a combination of gilt wire and cellon. Tailer label removed, but the flat gilt generals buttons (as opposed to slightly domed German ones), marked Salzburg. Inside red liner “pinked” and red general’s material sewn through button holes, for a nice touch.

Slip on boards have two cloth loops (as opposed to German style with one) and held by large gold button at collar. Unlike German generals, this one piped in red along bottom tunic edge. Tailoring detail is superb. All matching insignia may be German made for this, since Larisch tabs a mix of gilt wire and cellon.

With the Anschluss an “overnight” event, I see photos of Austrian Heer unforms upgraded with TR insignia in a variety of ways, in that transition period. Note one period photo shown.

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture CTF's Uniform Collection   CTF's Uniform Collection  

CTF's Uniform Collection   CTF's Uniform Collection  

CTF's Uniform Collection   CTF's Uniform Collection  

“Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement CTF's Uniform Collection
    P
    Many

A postscript to the above General tunic:

One of critical components of collecting uniforms and visors, is researching the provenance and history of the piece. What exactly do we have?

Jack Angolia published the definitive Heer WWII uniform book in 1984. Looking through this book 40 years later, the Austrian General uniform he used to illustrate this Anschluss transition, is the generals uniform ensemble I got from the son of the deceased collector. I did not recognize this uniform at first in Angolia’s book, since he pit this uniform on to an ill fitting dummy, distorting the fit and shape.

In the two illustrations Angolia shows in this 1984 book, the uniform back photo shows the original aiguillette, while he removes the aiguilette for the front photo. Angolia does not credit the collector for the Austrian uniform he photographed for his book. His copy on page 120 describes this generals Anschluss uniform. All book details confirm the actual uniform. His book copy states “Austrian made uniform with German supplied insignia.”

What do we know: the Anschluss is 13 March 1938. Heer regulations state that the Austrians must be German uniform outfitted at a target date of 15 June 1938. Thanks to Tim Curley, we know cellon as an insignia thread approved for uniforms on 15 July 1938.

Conclusion: this Austrian Anschluss generals uniform made sometime after July 1938, in that narrow Austrian to German Heer transition period.

Next step: to find a photo of this style of uniform
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture CTF's Uniform Collection   CTF's Uniform Collection  

CTF's Uniform Collection  
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11