Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Evolution of the enlisted insignia worn on the feldbluse from 1932-1945

Article about: Hello, For the past few years I have been working on establishing a collection of insignia that was worn by the German enlisted soldier for each year from 1932-1945. I have pretty much compl

Default Evolution of the enlisted insignia worn on the feldbluse from 1932-1945

Hello,

For the past few years I have been working on establishing a collection of insignia that was worn by the German enlisted soldier for each year from 1932-1945. I have pretty much completed my project. My collecting interest is around the Ulm/Neu Ulm area in Germany. My insignia is based in the Reichsheer infantry regiment 13 and the Third Reich infantry regiment 56.

John Angolia and Adolf Schlict's wonderful series [B][U]UNIFORMS AND TRADITIONS OF THE GERMAN ARMY 1933-1945[B][U] was an indespensable reference to help accomplish this task. I hope you enjoy this.

In 1932 the Reichsheer had been wearing their standard feldbluse with facings in dark field grey (reseda Green). The shoulder straps were rounded and piped in branch of service color, white for infantry. The regimental number was also embroidered in the branch of service color. There was no eagle application at this time. The small sized collar tabs had been in use since 1928 backed on dark field grey and piped in white. Rank insignia, signal blitzes, and specialty patches were backed on dark field grey.The standard uniform insignia was made of wool and the insignia for the summer, moleskin, tunic are backed on moleskin

Evolution of the enlisted insignia worn on the feldbluse from 1932-1945Evolution of the enlisted insignia worn on the feldbluse from 1932-1945

In 1933 the new feldbluse came out. There was still no eagle application and the insignia was backed on dark field grey. The collar and shoulder straps are now made out of uniform cloth material matching the color of the tunic. The shoulder straps have no piping and are pointed on the ends. They are not piped but the regimental number is embroidered in the branch of service color, white for infantry.The cap insignia is now in the national colors and no longer the state colors. The collar and shoulder strap tresse is the old style "waffle pattern"

1934 was the first year of the eagle application. The hoheitsabzeichen, an eagle holding a swastika was worn over the right breast pocket. The facing and collar color was changed to dark field grey. The shoulder straps are still not piped. All rank chevrons, signal blitzes, specialty patches and collar tabs were backed on this new facing color . A strip of colored braid was sewn over the national colors on the hat. This braid was in the branch of service color

1935 the facing color was changed to a dark bluish green. All rank chevrons, signal blitzes, specialty patches and collar tabs were backed on this color. The shoulder straps were also changed to this color. The first pattern breast eagle was still used and the cap insignia was changes to a woven roundel and a small woven eagle of the same pattern and color of the breast eagle. The eagles and roundels were backed on a light grey color. In late 1935/ early 1936 the tresse pattern was changed from the "waffle" pattern to a checkered pattern. The material of manufacture was changed from a silver yarn to a bright aluminum yarn.

1936 the insignia stayed the same as the year before. No significant changes that I have seen. The shoulder strap has the new style tresse.

1937 The facing colors stayed the same, dark bluish green. The breast eagle, cap eagle and roundel were made in a more stylized pattern and changed to white on a dark bluish green backing, matching the facings.

In 1938 we see two major changes. The shoulder straps now have round ends and are piped in the branch service color. The collar tabs are now just three dark green strips on a grey base. These are the first pattern einheits collar tabs

1939 We see a slight change in the insignia. The eagles are still backed on a dark bluish green material but the color of the eagle is now a light grey

Continued on page two

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Evolution of the enlisted insignia worn on the feldbluse from 1932-1945
    P
    Many

?

Very informative for collectors IMO... The displays are a great reference as well !!
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

In 1940 a major change came over the insignia. The facing color was changed to a field grey to match the uniform color. The collar, shoulder straps, signal blitzes, rank chevrons, and specialty patches were backed on this color. The eagle , baoth cap and breast, and roundel were field grey. The collar tabs were now all field grey . This is the second pattern of einheits tabs. The tresse was now a subdued grey color made of a rayon material

In 1941 the insignia stayed the same with no noticeable changes

In 1942 The braid above the roundel was removed. Another style of insignia , The "T" form was used on the M42 cap(this style of insignia came out in 1940 but was only used by the specialized mountain troops on their mountain caps. Infantry Regiment 56 became Jaeger Regiment 56 and their branch of service color changed from white to grass green.

!943 the insignia stayed with the 1942 stsndard, no significant changes.

In 1944 we see a new style breast eagle .It is manufactured to be sewn in a triangular fashion to speed up the sewing process. The rayon trapezoid is in common usage on the M43 field cap. We also start to see a degradation of the uniform material and cost saving measure becoming more prevalent.

In 1945, the cloth has taken a brownish tint because it is manufactured with reprocessed wool and other material, wood chip, lint.... The shoulder straps are basically a single piece of material piped in branch color with a tape strip on the back. The collar tabs are manufactured straight so there is no more cutting and folding. The major change though is the breast eagle. The army issue a embroidered breast eagle and the last issue eagle, a three color printed on.

The dates that I have put on these sets of insignia are the dates the insignia was authorized by regulation. Uniforms came out of the factories a lot of the times with different insignia. This is a guide only to show the regulation changes. Brian Davis in his great book"GERMAN ARMY UNIFORMS 1933-1945 has some outstanding pictures of early insignia on late uniforms .

Fred

Nicely done Fred
    A great thread and I really like the way you displayed everything.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

A great reference, Painstakingly researched & a boon to the Heer insignia collector. Welldone Fred surely worthy of a sticky! Regards, Paul

Great to see that you have included uniform material for each period Thanks for showing your hard work there!

Well done Fred!
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Thanks for a very informative, thoroughly reasearched thread and an attractive presentation!

Great thread!.....

Great work Fred!! It has answered a lot of my questions too ( and made me a bit more confident to collect some more cloth.)

Regards , Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast