Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

FJ/Flight 4-pocket tunic -- all original?

Article about: There has been some speculation whether or not the breast eagle has been restored on this private purchase tunic. There is a small moth nip at the top of the eagle at the intersection of the

Default FJ/Flight 4-pocket tunic -- all original?

There has been some speculation whether or not the breast eagle has been restored on this private purchase tunic. There is a small moth nip at the top of the eagle at the intersection of the wings. I have seen no evidence of previous sewing on the tunic fabric. Any opinions on the originality of the eagle attachment (and the other insignia, for that matter)? Thanks!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture FJ/Flight 4-pocket tunic -- all original?   FJ/Flight 4-pocket tunic -- all original?  

FJ/Flight 4-pocket tunic -- all original?   FJ/Flight 4-pocket tunic -- all original?  

FJ/Flight 4-pocket tunic -- all original?   FJ/Flight 4-pocket tunic -- all original?  

FJ/Flight 4-pocket tunic -- all original?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement FJ/Flight 4-pocket tunic -- all original?
    P
    Many

?

There appears to be a ‘shadow’ of a previous wing profile above the top edge of the Adler.
    Difficult to judge with certainty from these few images, though the collar insignia seems originally sewn.

Quote by Kohima View Post
    There appears to be a ‘shadow’ of a previous wing profile above the top edge of the Adler.
    Difficult to judge with certainty from these few images, though the collar insignia seems originally sewn.
    Thanks for commenting. I'll take a closer look at the area when I have it in hand again.

Eagle is replaced, and possibly the boards too....

Hello,
    It's always tough to judge such a tunic without having it in hands.
    Previous posters may be right about the breast eagle being replaced.
    What i can say from these photos is : front buttonholes are very used, apparently this tunic has been opened and closed many times, wartime of course, but also most probably postwar when it entered the world of collection. Except for a small area seen on the EK2 ribbon that is yellowish, i do not see a lot of stains or trace of multiple manipulations on this ribbon that should have been touched hundreds of time considering how buttonholes look like. To me the ribbon should be "greased". Not saying the ribbon is postwar sewn, but it's strange to me. Unless the tunic has been washed at some point (and the ribbon as well).

The shoulderstraps are put together for sure as they're for an Unteroffizier and were pimped with two rank nails and the badly sewn lower piece of tresse. Shoulderstraps for Unterfeldwebel, Feldwebel and Oberfeldwebel do have this stripe sewn the same way than on the rest of the straps. But i've seen in the past shoulderstraps that looked replaced from photos and were original to the tunic. They're of the good type, sew-in and made of gabardine, which is a good point at least.
    Not sure i have ever seen such ugly tresse stripes !
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

TWS
    ?

Examining in hand is always best, but going off the photos I would say the breast eagle is replaced. Note that MANY surviving tunics have replaced breast eagles. They were removed at capture, during captivity, or in the case of tunics stored at home the soldier or his family removed the breast eagle so as not to get in any trouble with the occupation authorities post-war.

Regarding the Tresse on the shoulder straps: It often happened that an Unteroffizier was promoted and elected to add the required piece of Tresse versus the cost of replacing the shoulder straps. This was done with varying degrees of skill. That being said, the few examples of promoted shoulder straps I have in my collection show better workmanship than that displayed here.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

Quote by TWS View Post
    Regarding the Tresse on the shoulder straps: It often happened that an Unteroffizier was promoted and elected to add the required piece of Tresse versus the cost of replacing the shoulder straps. This was done with varying degrees of skill. That being said, the few examples of promoted shoulder straps I have in my collection show better workmanship than that displayed here.

Hello,
    A closer inspection with new and clear photos of both shoulderstraps would help i guess. Perhaps they would show things we can't see here but that are important to get a better idea of what they "really could be".
    Looking underneath the rank nails can be instructive sometimes, just to see the shade of the gabardine.
    Looking at the backs to see if they are previous holes or how materials used look like...etc....
    and more can be checked out...
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)