Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The Fliegerbluse of Karl Boehm-Tettelbach

Article about: I was fortunate to acquire this historically significant Fliegerbluse last year. I delayed putting it on a torso form and setting out for display in my war room because I did not have the ap

TWS
    ?

Default The Fliegerbluse of Karl Boehm-Tettelbach

I was fortunate to acquire this historically significant Fliegerbluse last year. I delayed putting it on a torso form and setting out for display in my war room because I did not have the appropriate flight clasp. KBT had earned the Zerstörer (Destroyer, called "Long Range Fighter" by collectors) clasp in gold, which I have so far still be unable to acquire. However, I finally decided to set up the Fliegerbluse so I can enjoy it. Therefore, the bomber flight clasp in gold is incorrect and so is the ribbon bar because I do not have one that matches his exact awards. The breast awards are not KBT's but are the correct ones that he earned and wore.

Karl Boehm-Tettelbach was born in Oregon to an American mother and German Father, Hans Boehm, who spied on the USA for Germany during WWI. They moved back to Germany when KBT was only about 5. However, growing up with an American mother, his command of the English language was excellent. This leads to the main reason for KBT's historical importance: He was the translator for Feldmarschal Keitel at Germany's surrender at Karlshorst on 8 May, 1945. This was not the more well-known surrender that had occurred the day before at Reims, France, but one insisted upon by Stalin.

Here's a quick video by Mark Felton about the different surrender ceremonies: Germany's THREE Surrenders - VE-Day Special - YouTube You can see KBT walk in and take up a standing position behind Keitel who is seated at the surrender table. See also the still photos below.

KBT had a distinguished military career and had commanded Zerstörergeschwader 26 "Horst Wessel" from October 1943 – June 1944, which was equipped with ME-110's. I had an entire bio put together in a document, but it's disappeared from my hard drive. KBT is easily researchable on Traces of War and other similar websites. KBT was interviewed by the BBC in their 1997 TV mini-series "The Nazis: A Warning from History" and I found it thrilling to see the owner of this Fliegerbluse during the segments where he is on camera. KBT died in 2001 and is buried with his mother at Riddle Cemetery, Douglas County, Oregon, as plain Carl Boehm.

In one photo below KBT is wearing a Fliegerbluse with a nice cloth bullion pilot's badge. I cannot be positive, but believe it is likely to be the Fliegerbluse in my possession. In that photo, he had not bothered to pin on any of his other awards.

The Fliegerbluse of Karl Boehm-TettelbachThe Fliegerbluse of Karl Boehm-TettelbachThe Fliegerbluse of Karl Boehm-TettelbachThe Fliegerbluse of Karl Boehm-TettelbachThe Fliegerbluse of Karl Boehm-TettelbachThe Fliegerbluse of Karl Boehm-TettelbachThe Fliegerbluse of Karl Boehm-TettelbachThe Fliegerbluse of Karl Boehm-TettelbachThe Fliegerbluse of Karl Boehm-TettelbachThe Fliegerbluse of Karl Boehm-Tettelbach
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement The Fliegerbluse of Karl Boehm-Tettelbach
    P
    Many

?

Wow. That's an amazing tunic. I was looking at the positioning of the cloth pilot's badge and the example on the tunic seems to be positioned slightly closer to the stitching down the front than in the photo? It appears to be about an inch away in the photo yet only half an inch on the tunic.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

TWS
    ?

Quote by Adrian View Post
    Wow. That's an amazing tunic. I was looking at the positioning of the cloth pilot's badge and the example on the tunic seems to be positioned slightly closer to the stitching down the front than in the photo? It appears to be about an inch away in the photo yet only half an inch on the tunic.
    Thanks Adrian. I think you are right. Last time I looked closely at that photo, I think I believed that was a shadow. On second thought, it does look like the stitch line.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

That is a magnificent Fliegerbluse Todd, I love it (but you already knew that)... and with
    some significant history behind it too, just superb mate.

Cheers

Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images The Fliegerbluse of Karl Boehm-Tettelbach 

MAP
    ?

Well...great to see these photos on a large screen than my phone! Fantastic. How often can any of us own an item to a known "personality". Someone who has a well documented history.

Congrats!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Stunning. Simply stunning.

If I am seeing the details correctly, yours appears to be the 1935 pattern (with curved, flapless pockets), whereas the bluse in the period images appears to be the 1940 type, with buttoned flaps.
    But who cares? It is an outstanding piece of history from a well-recorded personality. An extremely rare find - and each one unique.
    Fantastic find, Todd, it’s in the best home.
    All the very best - and good luck with finding the correct ribbon bar for it!
    Rob

TWS
    ?

Thanks Bob, Michael, and Rob. I think obtaining the proper flight clasp may be the biggest challenge.

I have only one other officer Fliegerbluse. Although the tailor's tag was removed, it is from a different tailor shop judging by the size of the missing tag's outline and placement of where it was. The fabrics are a bit different but the construction is highly similar. Moreso than what is found when comparing Heer officer tunics from different tailor shops. Perhaps because the Fliegerbluse is a simpler garment, but I still found it interesting.

The Fliegerbluse of Karl Boehm-TettelbachThe Fliegerbluse of Karl Boehm-TettelbachThe Fliegerbluse of Karl Boehm-TettelbachThe Fliegerbluse of Karl Boehm-Tettelbach
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

?

Hi Todd,

I’m an Air Force senior rank collector and remember when this came up for sale. I almost bid on it but had other priorities at the time - and I already have a high ranking fliegerbluse. It’s a nice one and I’m glad it went to another advanced collector here in the States.

Thank you for sharing! Who cares if you don’t have the correct clasp and bar. It’s better that you enjoy it in the interim and those will come with time. There’s a lot of great history on this officer so I’m happy to see that you’ve been able to compile much of it.

Makes owning that particular piece all the more satisfying.

TWS
    ?

Thanks Jason! I appreciate the kind words. I have to admit, though, I am the one who cares about the proper flight clasp. I have a touch of OCD, so that's why I did not set it out on display for ~6 months while I looked for one. However, after that period the desire to set it out and simply enjoy it overrode my OCD.

I agree 1000% about the history aspect. This is one of the most historically significant named uniform pieces in my collection, "ranking" above the Waffenrock that belonged to Clemens, Freiherr von Fürstenberg and on rough parity with the recently arrived tunic to a Knights Cross with Oak Leaves wearer that was at Stalingrad (coming to the forum soon when I get time).
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

?

Hey Todd,

Understood. With some slight OCD tendencies myself, I can certainly appreciate! I’m just happy to hear that you gave yourself a break for a moment and put up the display regardless. The right clasp will find its way to your home, it’s just a matter of time.

Named pieces are the best. I have owned over two dozen uniforms over the last decade but the pieces with tailor labels and name tags intact were the ones that remained among various purges. The research is one of the most enjoyable aspects when you get a new piece like this.

Some of my previous comments were cut off for some reason. I had wanted to say congrats on another fine acquisition for your collection!!!!

J-

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast