Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

The future of our hobby..

Article about: As stated in the title.. any ideas where our hobby is headed for the future? I'm a staunch conservative.. my recently college grad kid is semi-conservative... I got to know her peers and als

I see militaria as a hobby rather than as an investment. I am not in the business of dealing in militaria, so if prices go down, it doesn't hurt me. I would feel bad for dealers who have to make a living, but for myself lower prices just means it is easier for me to collect more. It also makes it easier for others to buy, thus attracting more people to the hobby.

I have a cousin who moved to California long ago to make money, and as soon as he retired he moved to Georgia as quickly as he could. I also am conservative, but I live in Florida and my children went through school in the Catholic school system, not the public system. My sons and their friends are conservatives like me.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement The future of our hobby..
    P
    Many

Preach on charlie!!

Quote by Richard2 View Post
    I see militaria as a hobby rather than as an investment. I am not in the business of dealing in militaria, so if prices go down, it doesn't hurt me. I would feel bad for dealers who have to make a living, but for myself lower prices just means it is easier for me to collect more. It also makes it easier for others to buy, thus attracting more people to the hobby.

I have a cousin who moved to California long ago to make money, and as soon as he retired he moved to Georgia as quickly as he could. I also am conservative, but I live in Florida and my children went through school in the Catholic school system, not the public system. My sons and their friends are conservatives like me.
    100% on that!! I collect because I can't enough of this stuff!
    It would make it good for the average collector if the hobby collapses. Not trying to complain about prices being lower... But it would be cool for the younger crowd to continue burning the torch. So much history and drama happened at this time.. it would be a tragedy for it to extinguish..

Quote by Rich Moran View Post
    As long as Hollywood exists along with other film makers across the globe, those who produce movies with the story of WWI, the years leading up to WWII, then WWII, Korea, Viet-Nam Iraq and Afghanistan campaign, there will always be an interest as participants have families who always ask, what did you do in the war? From one generation to the next the history is passed down orally, in images of that era and the items that were and are brought back allows the history and story to continue.

Back in the late 80's and early 90's, Time - Life came out with their books on WWII. Steve Wolfe of Wolfe-Hardin told me of how those books impacted collecting, he said it was a great boost to help sales of militaria.

Then Fury came out, and what was once an inexpensive buy, tanker helmets by Rawlings went from 75 bucks to what I've seen these days near thousand dollar prices with the helmets selling.

There is a near insatiable desire of SS TKV & Waffen SS items, American airborne items as well as Fallschrimjager and Afrika corps items. And at the present time dealers raising prices of these most desirable items and 9 times out of 10 they sell. I was astounded to see an enlisted SS TKV tab getting closer to a thousand bucks along with a flatwire SS sleeve eagle at a 2k asking price. It is breath taking for sure as those who have the want and can afford it we will continue to see the uptick in prices. Only if the money starts going south due to political blunders as well as design by those in control I think that seeing a depression in this hobby, the lack of buyers will not occur.

The political pressure of acceptance of these items has always been present but most collectors know, it is meaningless drivel that cannot slay the desire to own a piece of history no matter how notorious the people were associated with these pieces of militaria.
    I remember those books! YES! the Time - life series of WW2 books in the 80s!! Those were the books I used to borrow obsessively at the library when I was in elementary school!!! My dad also has a good collection of military books too. Yes, those time life series books was what started my obsession!

?

I have found the younger generation practically do not know the 2nd World War even occurred. The present teaching's in our schools and in society is a copy of the indoctrination utilized by the Nazi's and other past and present day nations. People judge you as being a Nazi if they discover you collect Nazi items but collecting other nations military items is acceptable. The reason for this is that they are not aware that some other nations have and some still are as evil as the Nazi's.

Instead of being judged by how one behaves, people seem to be judged by all matter of things ranging from the colour of their skin through to what they collect and beyond. "You collect Nazi items so you must be a Nazi". "You own a gun so you must be a killer".
    I now tend to throw that same mentality straight back at them which stops them in their tracks and which I have learnt from watching an interview between a reporter and Jordan Peterson and also an interview between a reporter and our own General Cosgrove.

General Cosgrove who was about to sponsor a Boy Scout Troop visiting his military Headquarters was asked by the female reporter what they will teach the boys on their visit. On mentioning shooting as one of the skills to be taught the female reporter stated "But you're equipping them to become violent killers" to which General Cosgrove replied "Well, Ma'am, you're equipped to be a prostitute, but you're not one, are you?

Our children today are taught "What to Think" not "How to Think". "What to Think" is indoctrination, not being allowed to ask questions. "How to Think" is being encouraged to ask question and make up ones own mind.

Agree there AiPal my father told me not to believe what everyone says learn for your self find out if that’s true . In society today it seem people just line up and follow the misinformation is rampant on both sides of the fence . But what’s happened now in schools , work ,media which I call the Volkischer Beobachter
    Is designed that way like a Maoist 5 year plan vote these people out But this stuff is worldwide crazy thanks charlie

CBH
    ?

You should really work on your definition of (non-political)

?

As a life-long “hippie/tree-hugger” myself, who has been collecting since the age of eight, I do not believe politics has any part in it; just an understanding of, and a passion for, history.

The majority of people, since the end of the Second World War, wouldn’t bat an eye if you burned all of ‘that nazi rubbish’. Thankfully, enough of them see its importance.

Quote by AlPal View Post
    I have found the younger generation practically do not know the 2nd World War even occurred. The present teaching's in our schools and in society is a copy of the indoctrination utilized by the Nazi's and other past and present day nations. People judge you as being a Nazi if they discover you collect Nazi items but collecting other nations military items is acceptable. The reason for this is that they are not aware that some other nations have and some still are as evil as the Nazi's.

Instead of being judged by how one behaves, people seem to be judged by all matter of things ranging from the colour of their skin through to what they collect and beyond. "You collect Nazi items so you must be a Nazi". "You own a gun so you must be a killer".
    I now tend to throw that same mentality straight back at them which stops them in their tracks and which I have learnt from watching an interview between a reporter and Jordan Peterson and also an interview between a reporter and our own General Cosgrove.

General Cosgrove who was about to sponsor a Boy Scout Troop visiting his military Headquarters was asked by the female reporter what they will teach the boys on their visit. On mentioning shooting as one of the skills to be taught the female reporter stated "But you're equipping them to become violent killers" to which General Cosgrove replied "Well, Ma'am, you're equipped to be a prostitute, but you're not one, are you?

Our children today are taught "What to Think" not "How to Think". "What to Think" is indoctrination, not being allowed to ask questions. "How to Think" is being encouraged to ask question and make up ones own mind.
    You just hit the bullseye!

About how schools hardly graze WW2 and esp Hitler... My kid told me recently that when she was in high school, they went over WW2 for only 2 weeks in junior year and that was that.. hahahhahahahhaha!!!!

I asked if they went over Hitler and the kind of evil man he was... She said, barely.

MORONS!!!! NO WONDER WHY MY NIECE (attended a high school in L.A.) who was a validictorian... Argued with my wife justifying the violence committed by black lives matter and antifa PIGS.

If they would just focus more on the acts commmited by the brown shirts, Hitler, etc.. then it would certainly help in teaching our kids that these acts of violence is wrong!

Disclaimer: I'm sure there are other school districts that focus a bit more on history esp WW2... But L.A. unified and Glendale unified.... Run by a bunch of woke idiots that want to shield our kids from the horrors of WW2. Making them weak and ignorant..

I don't know about you guys... But in the mid 90s.. our history teacher in high school thoroughly went over WW2 for like half the school year and we even had to attend the museum of tolerance in west L.A.

It's just history repeating itself... Like God said . We're such fallible creatures.. so flawd. Keep making the same mistake.. it's okay..the antichrist will come fool everyone and then we're screwed until the Lord comes...
    Just my spiritual outlook on things...

I'm 57 and have been collecting since I was 8 years old, long before the Internet came along...
    Believe me when I say that "My Heart is in this Endeavor", so to speak...
    This Hobby is Global, Alive & Well...So far, 2023 has been my best year ever, scoring High-Dollar artifacts at affordable prices from Germany, Latvia, Belgium and France...The Hobby has also gained much more acceptance by the general public...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast