Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

The future of our hobby..

Article about: As stated in the title.. any ideas where our hobby is headed for the future? I'm a staunch conservative.. my recently college grad kid is semi-conservative... I got to know her peers and als

Well... I said my point. I trailed off in my rants about our divided nation/world. Not apologetic at all for my beliefs. But I do apologize for going off topic. Just wanted to know some thoughts about the future of our hobby.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement The future of our hobby..
    P
    Many

Quote by GlennAgain View Post
    I'm 57 and have been collecting since I was 8 years old, long before the Internet came along...
    Believe me when I say that "My Heart is in this Endeavor", so to speak...
    This Hobby is Global, Alive & Well...So far, 2023 has been my best year ever, scoring High-Dollar artifacts at affordable prices from Germany, Latvia, Belgium and France...The Hobby has also gained much more acceptance by the general public...
    That always surprises me whenever I hear about stuff still coming out of Germany! I have a friend (fellow wrf member here) who says he gets a lot of his stuff in Germany too!

Considering they have strict rules in buying and selling this stuff... I'm still surprised a lot of great stuff is still coming from Germany!

Do you buy from dealers or do you pick up your stuff during visits?

I'm always looking for new sources online, and I also keep a list of personal favorites, mostly Dutch and German Dealers selling the sort of Militaria that most GIs weren't interested in bringing back...As for me, Military/Historic Stewardship extends beyond the relics themselves as a mere commodity...

I'm always looking for new sources online, and I also keep a list of personal favorites, mostly Dutch and German Dealers selling the sort of Militaria that most GIs weren't interested in bringing back...As for me, Military/Historic Stewardship extends beyond the relics themselves as a mere commodity...
    Definitely agree with that statement. Wow.. the conversion rate from us dollars to euros or gbp must not be good .. not sure about now but at least 10 years ago.. I used to cringe whenever I sent money to a dealer in Europe as the dollar was not stronger than euros or gbp...

Btw. Your neck of the woods is beautiful! Awesome weather too! Not sure about the present time since I heard you guys are having a heatwave... My kid went to college in Kirkland and she works at a biotech company there after graduation this year.

It's not so much the conversion-rate that keeps prices high these days -- It's the Increased Shipping Costs that often make up 1/3rd of the total cost...

It's not so much the conversion-rate that keeps prices high these days -- It's the Increased Shipping Costs that often make up 1/3rd of the total cost...
    Ugh.... Yep I agree. USPS prices keep goin up and up..

I'm referring to EU Shipping Rates, which are significantly higher than those of the USPS...

[QUOTE=GlennAgain;2297687]I'm referring to EU Shipping Rates, which are significantly higher than those of the USPS...[/QUOTE

Yeah I knew you were referring to eu rates.. I was just saying that us shipping rates are high too.. but if europes rates are higher... Then sheesh!!! Wonder what's going on there.. anyone from Europe explain why???

There's a lot of items I wanna grab from some of the European dealers... But what scares me away from purchasing is the conversions rate and extra we pay for shipping... But now that Glenn mentions that is even more than our rates... Jeez... I don't know man.

That doesn't mean you won't find good deals! There's a lot of rare stuff still out there waiting to be discovered at good prices, postage be damned when I see something I've GOT to have, lol... Good Luck out there!

?

I have a few thoughts about this topic being one of the "younger" collectors around here.

Internet really makes it a global hobby IMO. My father was a long time collector is the 80's and 90's and only bought stuff locally and without much reference. After inheriting most of his militaria which he did not sell (about 6 years ago) I found out quite a few items were fakes to my great sadness. I have almost no collecting friends in real life. I find comfort in the strangers on this platform who share my passion and interests.

If anything can destroy this hobby it will be:

1. Legislation. Banning sale of swastika's and militaria from the Third Reich.

2. The ever increasing quality of fakes. Once the perfect fake metal TK or bullion arrives, the SS market will die.

3. A tight clique of dealers who keep increasing the prices so insane that there will no influx of young collectors.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast