Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Help identifying soldiers uniform, rank, insignia, etc.

Article about: Hello again, All! I'm trying to figure out what type of breast eagle this soldier has. I'm leaning towards this one (which I just purchased from the Collector's Guild): What do you guys thin

Default Help identifying soldiers uniform, rank, insignia, etc.

I found this photo of a soldier on the internet. There's just something about him... he's young, but his tired eyes speak to me. It seems that through his military service, he has seen a lot that has made him wise beyond his years.

Can someone tell me pretty much everything about what's going on in this picture?

1. Can anyone I.D. the soldier, or is it just a typical, battle veteran German soldier.

2. What kind of tunic, breast eagle, collar tabs, shoulder tabs, rank, and insignia does he have?

3. What can you fine folks tell me about his medals and badge awards?

I already have an ek2, eastern front medal, black wound badge, and I have an IAB on the way... I thought it might be a cool idea to pay homage to this guy and also collect the rank and insignia this man has.

Thanks for the help!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help identifying soldiers uniform, rank, insignia, etc.
    P
    Many

Default Re: Help identifying soldiers uniform, rank, insignia, etc.

It Looks like some sort of insignia right below the sleeve chevron, but there's not quite enough of it showing to make a guess on it. I like the way he highlighted the swastika on his black wound badge. William
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    It Looks like some sort of insignia right below the sleeve chevron, but there's not quite enough of it showing to make a guess on it.
    Or could it just be a fold in the fabric?

He's an enlisted man of the Heer [Army] wearing a Feldbluse [field blouse] of a pre- or early war model.
    Due to the presence of the Ostmedaille, the photo cannot have been taken earlier than 1942.

His rank - as denoted by his single sleeve chevron - is Gefreiter; the lace bar on his shoulder boards identifies him as an NCO candidate.
    (The lighter colored area below the rank chevron is surely just a fold in the sleeve; no badges or insignia would have been worn in that place anyway.)

No unit insignia are worn, but the Waffenfarbe [branch color] on his shoulder boards appears to be white for infantry.

Sorry; but I am afraid it is extremely unlikely that someone will be able to identify him.

Am i correct in thinking the top decoration is an infantry assault badge? and he appears to have 2? ribbons on his button flap I think one is for an Iron cross not sure about the other.

Quote by WOODSNAKE View Post
    Am i correct in thinking the top decoration is an infantry assault badge? and he appears to have 2? ribbons on his button flap I think one is for an Iron cross not sure about the other.
    You are correct, it is an Infanterie Sturmabzeichen in silver. The other ribbon he is wearing is for the Ostmedaille.

It looks like I was entirely correct, Joe! Minus the NCO candidate lace, though...

And i dont know about "sorrowful eyes" I'm tipping he copped a Right Hook in a stoush with his Barber

I too detect a bruise, but it could be from lack of sleep.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    I too detect a bruise, but it could be from lack of sleep.........!
    and i meant no disrespect... it's just my sense of Humour..

I'm tipping he copped a Right Hook in a stoush with his Barber
    No offense, but what on earth does this sentence mean? lol

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast