Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Help! Identifying uniform and rank etc

Article about: Hi all. First post so if I break any rules please let me know. I'm trying to get as information on my great grand father (rank, regiment, dress items etc). So I can recreate his uniform. I a

Lightbulb ''International 4-Tage-Armeegepäckmarsch''

Honored gentlemens,

I can definitely say this:

44 German soldiers from various regiments of the Reichswehr went to Holland in July 1928.

Among them is officers:
    1. captain Otto-Ernst Ottenbacher (2./I.R.4) — monocle in eye socket, raspy voice, iron cross
    2. ober-lieutenant Peter Sœhngen (6./I.R.1)
    3. lieutenant Reinhard Petri (10./I.R.18)
    4. lieutenant Alexis Peter Hugo Freiherr von Rœnne (5./I.R.9) — participated in plot against Hitler fails 20 July 1944

They are also accompanied by a medical officer (Oberstabsarzt doctor Fritz Full), a major and a captain from the Ministry of Defense, who, however, will not run.

In general, it was said about 1200 participants from Germany, Holland, Norway and England. 1050 from this completely survived the march.

Last edited by Hans Still; 05-13-2017 at 06:38 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help! Identifying uniform and rank etc
    P
    Many

Thank you very much for the information!
    How did you come across the un-cropped picture?

Very interesting that my great grandfather took part in this event. Would all the participating soldiers received a cross?

Wink Аfstandsmarschen.

Quote by Tim49980 View Post
    How did you come across the un-cropped picture?
    Many images were published on the Dutch press agencies, newspapers, movie footages...

I collect them throughout the year, systematize and research.

Therefore I am grateful for any information!

Would all the participating soldiers received a cross?
    ''Iron crosses'' are unlikely.

I know for sure that all soldiers already had sports badges DRA.
    All the same, the most hardy people were selected for the march.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help! Identifying uniform and rank etc  
    Last edited by Hans Still; 05-13-2017 at 05:17 PM.

kc1
    ?

This is an interesting post. My father in law attended on several occasions with detachments of army cadets, now CCF. It seemed that this event was concerned with commemorating the Market Garden operation rather than it was a pre war event.

Quote by kc1 View Post
    This is an interesting post. My father in law attended on several occasions with detachments of army cadets, now CCF. It seemed that this event was concerned with commemorating the Market Garden operation rather than it was a pre war event.
    No, it is an old event. The first "vierdaagse" started in 1909. This year it is the 101st,
    starting July 18. It has not to do with Market Garden.
    In 1914 and 1915 (as far as I know) and during WWII this event did not take place.

Managed to find some more pre war pictures of him.
    And with some awards! Look like a cross of some sort and a DRA sports badge (I think).

There was a note written down with the early pictures - Vater soldat 1922 - 1935

Last edited by rbminis; 11-09-2017 at 04:34 PM.

Managed to find some more pre war pictures of him.
    And with some awards! Look like a cross of some sort and a DRA sports badge (I think).
    The medal is the "Four Day Cross" (Vierdaagsekruis) for the Nijmegen March mentioned above. The other badge is indeed the DRA Sports Badge, and the lace bar on his lower left sleeve is a marksmanship stripe. His rank in the photograph is Unterfeldwebel.

Thanks again HPL.

Do you think the ribbon on his tunic in picture 1. is linked the Vierdaagsekruis? Or possibly a long service ribbon? (It being one solid colour rather than striped)

The marksmanship stripe, I dont suppose you have a link to more information on that?

Will you or your family be able to identify gr.gr.father in this group picture?

— The Reichswehr delegation receives Vierdaagse-awards. Here they wear other tunics: the ,,Ausgehanzug’’ pattern July 22, 1927 with longitudinal piping and collar tab оn a substrate of white infantry color.

(Molenveld, July 20, 1928)

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help! Identifying uniform and rank etc  

I would say this is him, hard to say for certain with the picture quality. Normally I can recognise him by the way he held his cigarette.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast