Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Luftwaffe Feldherrenhalle

Article about: I have been trying to discover what head gear that members of the Luftwaffe Feldherrenhalle honor guard wore, besides the helmets that were blue then painted brown with the appropriate decal

Default Luftwaffe Feldherrenhalle

I have been trying to discover what head gear that members of the Luftwaffe Feldherrenhalle honor guard wore, besides the helmets that were blue then painted brown with the appropriate decal shields that were applied. Since the guard members wore SA brown tunics, did they wear visor, kepi, and field caps that were detailed with crimson red and candy cane piping on them, or were they, the caps, just detailed with crimson red and luftwaffe insignia, cloth or metal type visor cap insignia? The reason I am asking this is first and foremost, little information is available (that I'd not been able to find) as the Luftwaffe Feldherrenhalle honor guard was a short lived entity. I have images of members with helmets and 1 of a member wearing a field cap but with that particular image it is hard to make out what the insignia is let alone color as it is in black and white as is typical for the era and is not in color. The second reason is I own a Luftwaffe Feldherrenhalle tunic and have been searching for a correct soft cap as the steel helmet prices have gone crazy. Thank you for any help that can provide more info on an obscure subjet.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Luftwaffe Feldherrenhalle  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Luftwaffe Feldherrenhalle
    P
    Many

Insignia as shown here of SA Group Staff, with it's crimson red triangle background and flat wire eagle. Was that acceptable wear for Feldherrnhalle Honor Guard, regardless of affiliation of SA, Luftwaffe or Heer personnel?

Those who were Luftwaffe Feldherrnhalle personnel became the first cadre of Germanys parachute corps. Is there reference material out there of the first Luftwaffe parachutists & their service records?

Bundesarchiv has nothing on the subject, additionally their digital image segment is down so that's a dead end.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Luftwaffe Feldherrenhalle  

Spent more time researching, and discovered my memory is the subject of too much to remember, lol.

Per wikipedi, Göring transformed the Landespolizei General Göring into Germany's first dedicated airborne regiment, giving it the military designation Regiment General Göring (RGG) on 1 April 1935.

Additionally the attached images of a section taken from Roger James Bender book, The Luftwaffe. To date this reference is the only work I've seen with this particular subject.

Apology for the tunic image going sideways but reflects what Benders drawn illustration shows.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Luftwaffe Feldherrenhalle   Luftwaffe Feldherrenhalle  

Luftwaffe Feldherrenhalle   Luftwaffe Feldherrenhalle  

Images taken from a video on you tube begs more questions and answers of what these Feldherrnhalle men are wearing, are the birds Heer or Luftwaffe? if someone has and answer to that I'd be very grateful. I know the images are poor but them wearing the bird on their right chest sets them apart from the SA IMHO.

Then the cross straps are black unless my aged eyes are deceiving me, does that signify Heer....or Luftwaffe? No candy cane piping on their kepis too.

The tunic image is of a Luftwaffe Feldherrnhalle NCO from the Dick Deeter collection via Wolfe - Hardin and rests in one of my display cabinets.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Luftwaffe Feldherrenhalle   Luftwaffe Feldherrenhalle  

?

Certainly drop-tail Luftwaffe breast Adler, but standard Heer/political style cap Adler..
    As for the leatherwork, looks far closer to black than brown, so I don’t think any Luftwaffe affiliation can be assigned to it. However, the cap chinstraps seem to lean more toward the brown!
    What a mess. I don’t envy you!

Those mens are wearing regular SA Feldherrenhalle uniform with Luftwaffe insignia on right chest as ordered in 1938.
    Headgear is regular SA kepi with final SA insignia from 1937. Kepis do not have piping as those mens rank is not high enought.
    In 1935 ordered that all guard units wear same color top in crimson on SA kepi.

As the photo what start this thread, he is wearing SA sidecap with crimson color insignia.
    Sidecaps were used mainly during field training.
    -TJ-

Kohima said "Certainly drop-tail Luftwaffe breast Adler, but standard Heer/political style cap Adler..
    As for the leatherwork, looks far closer to black than brown, so I don’t think any Luftwaffe affiliation can be assigned to it. However, the cap chinstraps seem to lean more toward the brown!
    What a mess. I don’t envy you!"

Was quite happy to find this video photo grab of what I immediately thought was the drop tail Luftwaffe Adler.

This is the 1st time I'd ever seen that and verifies in my mind that these did and do exist if the tunics survived the era.

It is quite baffling though, they wear the SA Adler on their kepis, then the black Sam Brown belt and cross straps. If I'd of posted that by words alone I may of been told it never existed. All along I believed there is no way that would be correct. An SA Adler on a kepi with Luftwaffe drop tail Adler on their tunic, then the black leather work, the whole concept of uniformity by branch of service, tossed out the door.

This is an example of what collecting these things is all about, research and learning and understanding from era images what really happened.

Hopefully more collectors of these things see this and can add information of what happened in a very short transitional period of Feldherrnhalle Honor Guard dress.

Default SA Standarte "Feldherrnhalle" on the March Munich 1937-1938 time frame

This image is posted for WRF members use and not meant for resale or publication. This image has been cropped and has resided in my personal collection for 30 + years. The image is one of a few I own and can be used for your personal reference.

Probably the nicest FHH Officer ensemble I have seen:

Luftwaffe Feldherrenhalle   Luftwaffe Feldherrenhalle  

“Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

The Kepi that goes with it:

“Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast