Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Luftwaffe Field Division Jacket Patterns

Article about: What are the differences between the first and second pattern camo LWFD jackets? I’ve been digging and digging but can’t really find anything.

Default Luftwaffe Field Division Jacket Patterns

What are the differences between the first and second pattern camo LWFD jackets? I’ve been digging and digging but can’t really find anything.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Luftwaffe Field Division Jacket Patterns
    P
    Many

There is one currently for sale on the WAF...

I believe that the first pattern had press-studs to fasten the cuffs, whilst the second pattern had button-up cuffs; tho' I can't help beyond that.

With due respect, it would be appreciated if people who invite opinions and / or comments on this forum, or any other, would at least have the courtesy to acknowledge responses !
    If those who respond feel that their input is not appreciated it simply results in them not bothering in the future, so resulting in fewer contributions and less discussion !

Thanks for all the replies and information. It seems 1st or 2nd patterns are more our collectors terms versus anything done wartime.

Appreciated ! Yes, not sure whether the different style cuff fastenings; material or camo pattern relate to when they were manufactured, or were simply manufacturers' variations.
    Nevertheless, I think it interesting that these were the first camo smocks to be issued universally to units of the Wehrmacht (as opposed to the WSS), whereas issue of camo garments in the Heer was sporadic.
    Clearly they were prioritised due to the colour of the standard LW uniform, although the blue grey wasn't overly conscious.

?

I consider such details to be down to manufacturing variations and capabilities, rather than any distinct pattern changes.
    My 1942 example is fitted with dished alloy buttons, whereas I have seen early and later types with press-studs, and late production garments with glass buttons.

Collectors are obsessed with ‘typing’ everything of late, which leads to the often ridiculous “Type 4, Version 8, Option 19, Variation D” nonsense we are plagued with - often with two or three completely different systems in simultaneous use, and given equal credence. Without dated, pattern change documentation and known makers, these arbitrarily assigned classifications are just noise.
    Last edited by Kohima; 04-13-2024 at 05:20 PM.