Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Luftwaffe leather pilot jacket. Is it all real?

Article about: Recently I saw this Luftwaffe leather summer jacket on a military fair and I had to have it. I think it's a stunning piece, allthough it's heavily worn. Because I'm not an expert, I hope I d

Default Luftwaffe leather pilot jacket. Is it all real?

Recently I saw this Luftwaffe leather summer jacket on a military fair and I had to have it. I think it's a stunning piece, allthough it's heavily worn.
    Because I'm not an expert, I hope I didn't buy a jacket with a lot of fake stuff on it. What's your opinion about it?

The leather is dry and the interior is heavily worn. At the inside is a fainted label of the manufacturer. I think I read 1940 and a FL number. I've never seen a leather jacket with such label. Is it real?
    Both the breast eagle and the pilot/observer patch looks to me hand ambroidered with metal alloy thread. The p/o patch is on a strange spot and the yellow thread is heavily worn. Why?
    Above the left pocket are 2 small holes where a metal badge has been. I think there has been a little glued patch with wings also.
    On one pocket and one sleave are brown buttons with the text IMP DE TCHECOSLC. (imported from TsjechoSlowakia to France?).
    On the other pocket and sleeve metal buttons with no text. Later repair?
    The buttons for the shoulder straps are marked FKS 1942. The boards are for a Luftwaffe officer Hauptmann. Original?

The big zipper is sadly broke. Underneath the zipper is marked BREVETE SGDG, a famous old French manufacturer.
    The 2 zippers on the pockets are still functional and are marked SAS.

At the inside of the jacket are 2 metal initials fixed with JP. After I bought the jacket, I looked for a similar jacket on the internet. I found a lot from the famous ww2 pilot ace Josef "Pips" Priller. I didn't know him before. Shame on me. But can it be his initials and so one of his jackets? You always see him on foto's with such a jacket. Sadly never exactle this one. Or are there more pilots known with this initials?

In one of the pockets I found a little wad of paper which turned out to be an old german theatre ticket. Hard to read sadly. Unbelievable this has been almost 80 years in this pocket.

Thanks in advance for some opinions.
    Greetings Hans
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Luftwaffe leather pilot jacket. Is it all real?   Luftwaffe leather pilot jacket. Is it all real?  

Luftwaffe leather pilot jacket. Is it all real?   Luftwaffe leather pilot jacket. Is it all real?  

Luftwaffe leather pilot jacket. Is it all real?   Luftwaffe leather pilot jacket. Is it all real?  

Luftwaffe leather pilot jacket. Is it all real?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Luftwaffe leather pilot jacket. Is it all real?
    P
    Many

It is certainly one of the styles that were favoured by pilots, as they were civilian jackets that were modified by the airman
    to suit his personal tastes.... I think it stands a chance of being good...

Bob

?

As a civilian acquired jacket, it seems odd (and unlikely) that it should carry a military hersteller number and, more so, a gerät number, though the label certainly doesn’t appear to be a recent addition.
    That said, I like the jacket itself and, as Bob says, it is one of the many known styles (this, I believe, being of French manufacture). I have one in very similar style, with the distinctive ‘flat blade’ buckle. I shall add a few images shortly.
    Last edited by Kohima; 02-23-2023 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Clarification

Hello, cyclist jacket, from WWII or post WWII ?
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

?

As promised, my example of this commercially acquired jacket.
    As Lebus says, originally a cyclist or motorcyclists’ jacket which was popular, and well-documented, among Luftwaffe aircrew.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Luftwaffe leather pilot jacket. Is it all real?   Luftwaffe leather pilot jacket. Is it all real?  

Your jacket looks indeed partly the same. Also the breast eagle.
    How are your shoulder straps attached? Also with a string of a piece of rope?

?

Actually, with the large, black safety pins found in medical kits!

I’ve seen other (different) styles of jacket with bridles made from the leather hanging loop, which was originally fitted inside the collar.