MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Luftwaffe Onkel shoulder insignia

Article about: Hello...I'm new to the site and looking for insight into my father's uncle's Luftwaffe insignia. I know he was a Feldwebel in a Blindflugschule early on, but the L on this apparently Oberfel

?

Default Luftwaffe Onkel shoulder insignia

Hello...I'm new to the site and looking for insight into my father's uncle's Luftwaffe insignia.
    I know he was a Feldwebel in a Blindflugschule early on, but the L on this apparently Oberfeldwebel shoulder insignia is a mystery to me.
    Does anyone have insight into what these shoulder insignia in the photo indicate?
    Uncle Paul was part of an English prisoner exchange in early 1945, as he was shot down before then.
    Thanks in advance,
    Ertane
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Luftwaffe Onkel shoulder insignia  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Luftwaffe Onkel shoulder insignia
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Welcome,

Someone should be around shortly to help you out.

A nice set of boards from your uncle. Agree that these are Feldwebel boards for Flight/Para tunics. But someone should be able to tell you what the "L" is for.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

I believe the L stands for Lehrer (Instructor)!

MAP
    ?

Quote by Sensei View Post
    I believe the L stands for Lehrer (Instructor)!
    You just beat me to it Tobias. LoL

Here is a great link ......

Military Collar Tab & Shoulder Board Identification Gallery

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Excellent site Michael, but I seen in the LW section something called a regularion. I looked it up but no dice, can you please tell me what this means. Thank you.

Bill

MAP
    ?

Quote by SHEMP H View Post
    Excellent site Michael, but I seen in the LW section something called a regularion. I looked it up but no dice, can you please tell me what this means. Thank you.

Bill
    Heck...I'm a noob on these so no idea really. Maybe others know. But the Pink luftwaffee waffenfarb is typically for engineers. But the word is awfully close to Regulations in English, so maybe an admin type function? Maybe Judicial (but I think this is too far from the Bordeaux / red wine colored Waffenfarb).

TWS
    ?

Quote by SHEMP H View Post

Bill
    What was the context? Regularien means regulations, but the German military used the word Vorschriften. Regularien, to my understanding of German, is more in a civilian context like banking, etc.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

?

L represents a Lehr geschwader, an instructional and advanced training, demonstration and (to some extent), experimental unit (of any arm), routinely engaged in frontline operations.

By the way, they are absolutely gorgeous examples.. I particularly like the Unteroffizier pair with embroidered ciphers.

By the way, I wouldn’t put too much faith in the website linked above. There is some spurious stuff in it (e.g. invented transport collar patches - the Luftwaffe had no such collar patch, as the transport units wore the waffenfarbe of their parent arm; red, yellow, brown, &c.

The pale blue-grey of the Nachschub (transport & supply) arm was only adopted by the field divisions when they came under army command in 1943, and then only as piping to the shoulder straps and mid-green collar patches.
    It’s a complex subject.. that can blow your head apart (!)
    Last edited by Kohima; 05-21-2021 at 12:40 PM.