Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Luftwaffe sorau ID Pass

Article about: Hello, i recently bought a Luftwaffe Sorau airport (today żary in Poland) ID pass, i tried to find any in informations about that airport in ethernet but i only found 2 photos of bunker fro

Default Luftwaffe sorau ID Pass

Hello, i recently bought a Luftwaffe Sorau airport (today żary in Poland) ID pass, i tried to find any in informations about that airport in ethernet but i only found 2 photos of bunker from it also i wondering what that code PW2-2109 mean, i would be very thankful if someone tell me something about that airport and what that code mean

regards, James

Luftwaffe sorau ID Pass

Luftwaffe sorau ID Pass

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Luftwaffe sorau ID Pass
    P
    Many

I can't help James - but some bigger photos may...... the folk here like to zoom up as close as possible

Cheers, Dan

Edit - I found this.. so a bit of history LOL
    Luftwaffe Airfields 1935-1945

Sorau (GER) (a.k.a. Żary) (51 39 40 N – 15 08 20 E)

General: operational airfield (Einsatzhafen) and factory airfield (Industriehafen) in Silesia 55 km N of Görlitz; airfield 2.5 km N of Sorau.

History: built in the mid-1930’s and established as a Lw. Fliegerhorstkommandantur by 1 October 1936. In 1942, after servingfor 3 or 4 years as a training station, Focke-Wulf began using it as an Industriehafen for the assembly of aircraft.

Dimensions: approx. 1050 x 1000 meters (1150 x 1100 yards) and roughly square in shape.

Surface and Runways: grass surface. No paved runways. A perimeter road ran along the N boundary. Equipped with obstruction lighting and a beam approach system.

Fuel and Ammunition: both were available. The ammunition dump was in the Northeast corner.

Infrastructure: there were 2 very large hangars, 3 medium hangars and 1 large repair hangar off the S boundary, all with paved aprons. The station motor pool and garages were behind the repair hangar, and the base heating plant was between the two very large hangars. The station admin offices, barracks, messes, canteens, stores buildings were all off the S boundary and off the SE corner. A branch rail line from Sorau to serve the S boundary was under construction in Apr 44.

Dispersal: there were no organized dispersal facilities.
    Defenses: unknown.

Remarks:
    11 Apr 44: airfield and assembly plant bombed by 108 B-17 Fortresses.
    29 May 44: airfield and assembly plant bombed by 52 B-17 Fortresses.
    Operational Units: I./KG z.b.V. 2 (Sep 39); Stab, I., II., III./JG 6 (Jan-Feb 45).
    School Units: FFS C 1 (1938/39? – Sep 42); Fl.Ausbildungs-Rgt. 71 (1939-41).
    Station Commands: Fl.H.Kdtr. Sorau (1939 – 1943); Platzkdo. of Fl.H.Kdtr. A(o) 23/III Guben (1944-45); Fl.H.Kdtr. E(v) 268/III (Feb-Mar 45)?
    Station Units (on various dates – not complete): Flugleitung Sorau ( ? – 1945); Werft-Abt. 10/VIII (Feb-Apr 45); Werft-Abt. 107/VIII (Feb 45); Ldssch.Zug d.Lw. 1/II (Feb 45); Ldssch.Zug d.Lw. 2/II (Feb 45)?
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Thank you for your help dan.