Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

M36 Tunic with ostfront Ribbon.

Article about: Hello Guys, So I bought myself a M36 Tunic with an ostfront ribbon the other day and was wondering what you guys would think of it. It's my first uniform I bought and I'm glad to own it. Fir

Default M36 Tunic with ostfront Ribbon.

Hello Guys,

So I bought myself a M36 Tunic with an ostfront ribbon the other day and was wondering what you guys would think of it.
    It's my first uniform I bought and I'm glad to own it. First some information.
    This is a M36 tunic with an Ostfront ribbon, the eagle is hand applied and made out of wool. The tunic itself is also of wool and feels and smells quite rough and old. The Tunic has some few fieldrepairs and mothholes, but nothing too serious.
    I have showed pics already to dozen others, and received positive feedback about the originality and it being a kind of museum piece.
    On one of the pics you can see the stamps of the uniform, a bit faded but 5 out of 6 are visible with Depot E year 39. (So E39)
    According to German Size Stamps Explained / der Erste Zug theses are some good stamps I have on my tunic.
    I had a question about the stitching looking fresh, but mostly due to light it shows white, but actually it is greyish white/dirty white.

What do you guys think, is it an museum piece or was I blind to buy a repro (Which I doubt).

Thanks,

Spanish Soldier

M36 Tunic with ostfront Ribbon.M36 Tunic with ostfront Ribbon.M36 Tunic with ostfront Ribbon.M36 Tunic with ostfront Ribbon.M36 Tunic with ostfront Ribbon.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M36 Tunic with ostfront Ribbon.   M36 Tunic with ostfront Ribbon.  

M36 Tunic with ostfront Ribbon.   M36 Tunic with ostfront Ribbon.  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M36 Tunic with ostfront Ribbon.
    P
    Many

TWS
    ?

It is a nice original base tunic. The E39 means Erfurt depot, 1939. The additional non-standard stamps inside, as you indicated, could very well be inventory stamps from a museum or costumer, or other similar post-war organization that owned it.

Unfortunately, neither the collar tabs nor the breast eagle are originally factory applied. Those collar tabs, while they appear to be original, were produced much later than your tunic. That's also not a factory breast eagle for that tunic.

I am not crazy about the shoulder straps. Would need to see good detailed photos of them, top and bottom. I don't like what little I see of the bridles.

Overall, still a nice tunic in collectible condition.
    Last edited by TWS; 02-28-2021 at 03:22 AM. Reason: typo
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

Thanks for your answer TWS,
    Well, good to hear that the tunic is original.
    I suppose the eagle and collar tabs are original too but applied later maybe in the war or postwar? How about the Ostfront ribbon, looks like it fits perfectly.
    Are the shouldertabs any good, indeed the straps to hold these straps are bridles, dont know if this maybe was done by the owner or later.
    Did I overpay for the tunic with €750? If so, I'm thinking of returning it and buying a better tunic.
    Thanks anyways!

TWS
    ?

The ribbon to the Ost medal appears to be original and I can only see one end but that application appears credible. One consideration is that the soiling and wear seem to match the tunic. That's one of those calls that are hard to make 100% but yours appears credible.

For the shoulder straps more (and sharp/detailed) photos are needed as I indicated.

Opinions on value can vary widely but 750 euro is not bad for that tunic given it's liabilities. A completely untouched, "text book" tunic with absolutely no drawbacks would generally go for a good bit more unless the owner didn't know what they had/wasn't up to date on the market.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

Well, thanks again.
    I'll upload some pics of the shoulderstraps and the other side of the ribbon tomorrow morning.

I like to think of "stripped" tunics in this way .... a returning German soldier ( or a repatriated POW ) had to wear something in a country devastated by the war.
    As long as all insignia ( and that would extend to shoulder straps, litzen, chevrons and obviously the eagle ) was removed the tunic could be a very practical work jacket. I'm sure this happened for unissued stocks as well, there must have been warehouses full in 1945/46

Then as the years went on interest arose and collectors found them, the reattaching process began - not to deceive, just to reinstate what once was ( unknowingly mixing it up a bit every now and then )

Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

As promised here are some pics of the shoulder straps and ostfront ribbon.
    Imo the shoulderstraps look good. I have used and tested an UV lamp and the boards (and the white edge) didn't glow at all. Also they aren't really fully white but that's due to the lighting. They are more faded, like 75% white.

Same for as the yunic the shoulderstraps have the same smell and feel rough and old.
    The piece of cloth that would hold the shoulderstraps on the other side are some silver ribbles. It doesn't look to me that it had those green straps before, because I cant find any place where they were torn off. Maybe these silver lines were originally added to hold the shoulderstraps, because they go nicely into the uniform and doesn't look to be placed recently.
    The Ribbon looks original placed too.

M36 Tunic with ostfront Ribbon.M36 Tunic with ostfront Ribbon.M36 Tunic with ostfront Ribbon.M36 Tunic with ostfront Ribbon.M36 Tunic with ostfront Ribbon.