Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

M38 Wehrmacht fieldmantel original??

Article about: Hi everyone, I stumbled on this M38 German fieldmantel. I noticed that the epaulettes have a grey color, I think from a M40 model. Should't they be black with piping. What do you think in ge

Default M38 Wehrmacht fieldmantel original??

Hi everyone,

I stumbled on this German fieldmantel. I noticed that the epaulettes have a grey color, I think from a later model. I'm not a uniform guy so maybe you can shed your light on the matter. (Should be a M35 I think not M38).

Thx

Cheers Paul
    Last edited by Irish1965; 10-26-2020 at 04:33 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M38 Wehrmacht fieldmantel original??
    P
    Many

?

Hello. The item shown is an original M36 Mantel in very poor condition. Besides the rips and mothing, it looks from the photos provided to possibly also having been shortened. There is no such thing as a M38 Mantel. (The stamping inside which looks like K38?, would merely indicate that it was issued by the Heer Clothing Depot in Konigsberg in 1938). With regards to the shoulder straps, you would need better photos to determine their originality. Cheers, Colin

Hello,
    Colin is right concerning the condition....very poor indeed...
    beside the rips and mothing, french cuffs were also removed from both sleeves.
    If it has been shortened, it would be bad as it was already quite short (116 cm)

K38 means that this greatcoat was accepted at the Königsberg Heer depot in 1938, but was it issued the same year ?
    Theorically depot markings were ink stamped after the acceptance, not just before the issueing....who knows when it was issued, most probably the same year (38), but it could have been also issued in 1939...
    IMO shoulderstraps are reproductions
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

Thx folks,

I passed on this one and got me a nice one dated 1939. With epaulets from a lieutenant of the pioniers. Used but almost mint.
    I'll post it next month.

Cheers Paul

It is good that you passed on this example due to the condition. I will note however that the issued Mantel had a raw bottom edge that could be trimmed to suit the size of the wearer. I think you only had to shift up the hardware needed to blouse the coat. The three Heer Mantels I have owned over time all had a raw bottom edge. The only exception from my collection is a blanket lined Luftwaffe Mantel that has a finished hem. Neil