Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Marschsteifel

Article about: Hello friends, I purchased this set of Marschstiefel from a well known Dutch dealer. They were described as "Wehrmacht" marching boots. I am asking for some feedback on this pair.

Default Marschsteifel

Hello friends, I purchased this set of Marschstiefel from a well known Dutch dealer. They were described as "Wehrmacht" marching boots. I am asking for some feedback on this pair. I did research prior to the purchase and note the general shape, construction, brown leather material (blackened), heel cup, toe plate, cloth pull, hob nails, rear seam and reinforced sole all seem to match textbook examples. Those of you have studied boots know where I am going. The upper shaft is sewn to the boot and is not a typical single piece. It appears to be made of the softer leather sometime used in this area. Is this something seen on Stiefel used by the Heer or other forces or did I purchase something questionable? There are markings including what appears to be a partial manufacturer name and city (Carl Ha...utt), size 27 1/2 5 42 and an unknown marking 7811 18. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Neil

MarschsteifelMarschsteifelMarschsteifelMarschsteifelMarschsteifelMarschsteifelMarschsteifel

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Marschsteifel
    P
    Many

Hello,
    Neil, honestly they're not in great condition....they lost the U-shaped iron on the heel, the hole seen on the first photo is rather big and IMO they're put together as both shafts does not belong to this pair of boots. If markings are on the shafts it means that these markings are for another pair of boots. The shaft is only in one piece for regulation boots. Sometimes one can find stitchings all around the base of the shaft, but it's an internal stitching meant to hold a piece of leather inside the shaft and usually with this feature, the boots are privately purchased, not regulation. It seems to me that this pair have had a rather tough life......
    I would rather wait for a better pair, just my two cents...
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

Thanks for the comments. The numbers in both match as do the size and manufacturer mark. They have seen a tough life for sure! Price was very low so I got them for the curiosity. It appears the hole on the right boot is from kick starting a motorcycle as it matches the area exactly. So just to be sure - you think these are private purchase from the period? Appreciate your thoughts. Neil

Quote by Neil Hever View Post
    So just to be sure - you think these are private purchase from the period?

No, in my opinion they're regulation but with both shafts replaced...
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

Thanks so much - that is what I was thinking. Further evidence of these boots having a second and third life is the fact that the pulls were replaced as well. Apparently retired before falling apart altogether! Thanks again for the feedback - always appreciated.

I was able to identify the maker of these marching boots. They were made by Carl Henke in Tuttlingen. Apparently, they were made with the shaft sewn on at ankle level. I've located several pairs that match in construction. Here is one example.
    Marschsteifel