Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Maschinengewehr-Bataillon 4 Overcoat

Article about: Most uniform collectors are not excited about overcoats/greatcoats. They're big, bulky, and they are not as sexy as... say a tunic. It's been 18 years since I bought an overcoat, but when th

TWS
    ?

Default Maschinengewehr-Bataillon 4 Overcoat

Most uniform collectors are not excited about overcoats/greatcoats. They're big, bulky, and they are not as sexy as... say a tunic. It's been 18 years since I bought an overcoat, but when this one recently came up at auction I felt a pull towards it because it is something a little special. I collect the odd piece from Heer machine gun battalions here and there and this one is unit marked inside, an early piece, and really nice. The battalion was founded in October of 1935 and the coat is dated '36. Anyway, I thought I'd celebrate ending the long abstinence from overcoats by setting it out on display.

Maschinengewehr-Bataillon 4 OvercoatMaschinengewehr-Bataillon 4 OvercoatMaschinengewehr-Bataillon 4 OvercoatMaschinengewehr-Bataillon 4 OvercoatMaschinengewehr-Bataillon 4 OvercoatMaschinengewehr-Bataillon 4 OvercoatMaschinengewehr-Bataillon 4 OvercoatMaschinengewehr-Bataillon 4 OvercoatMaschinengewehr-Bataillon 4 Overcoat
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Maschinengewehr-Bataillon 4 Overcoat
    P
    Many

I´m not experienced on uniforms in any way, but i´ve personally always liked overcoats, i like coats in general, and many military coats have a really nice design.
    Yours is a very good looking example, and the Unit marking makes it extra special, congrats, nice purchase!

?

That's a choice example Todd, I can see why you made an exception for it. Another one lucky to have survived the aftermath of the war (used by civilians), and insignia collectors (cutting the shoulder straps off). I agree ref overcoats, I have just one, an M40 Luftwaffe example, but I like that it's so flexible, change the shoulder straps and it can be anything!

Best regards, Paul

TWS
    ?

Quote by PaulW View Post
    That's a choice example Todd, I can see why you made an exception for it. Another one lucky to have survived the aftermath of the war (used by civilians), and insignia collectors (cutting the shoulder straps off). I agree ref overcoats, I have just one, an M40 Luftwaffe example, but I like that it's so flexible, change the shoulder straps and it can be anything!

Best regards, Paul
    Thanks Adravor and Paul. Yes, I agree. Lucky it survived so nicely. I have seen former Heer overcoats modified for civilian wear after the war and worn to very poor condition or containing modifications that mostly ruin their collectable value - having been dyed or shortened or all buttons swapped for civilian ones, etc.

My Luftwaffe greatcoat has sewn in straps for a signal NCO so it cannot be swapped for another branch. Cool thing is that it has a unit stamp for Luftwaffe Signals Regiment 11 inside.
    My other Heer greatcoat has provisions for slip-on straps. It's stamped Erfurt '39. It actually came into my possession with no straps. I was at the SOS a few years back and found a nice long pair of medical NCO straps that fit perfectly - (it needs longer straps due to the spacing of the bridles and buttons).
    I had a nice war time solid Feldgrau Heer overcoat many years ago.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."