Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Need help / information

Article about: Hello, I am new to the forum. Have a pic of my Dad in German WW2 uniform. While I am familiar with the iron cross there are still some insignia in the pic that I can't identify and my mother

Post anything period that you have. There is always something great to learn from period photos.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Need help / information
    P
    Many

Here are a few photos;
    early war photo .jpg (206.0 KB)
    Need help / information
    with fellow soldiers .jpg (201.2 KB)
    Need help / information
    on motorbike .jpg (159.8 KB)
    Need help / information
    with Russian soldier .jpg (220.1 KB)
    Need help / information

I thought I had them all the right way . What did I do wrong ????

Quote by silongirl View Post
    Neil, I did look up the Sudetenland medal on Wikepedia. I didn't even know he fought there, again more great information ....I also have photos of my father in Russia and other places that I cannot identify. Of course in Russia he is wearing an overcoat with an interesting hat. There are approximately 30 small photos from his time there including him sharing food and cigarettes with the Russian soldiers, ultimately part of the reason that he was stripped of rank . Sorry to ramble, just glad that I have some more information. His medals/awards/files were eventually destroyed by the Russians so photos is all I have.
    My father was also a Panzer crewman in the Ukraine and Russia. His unit was destroyed in Russia but, fortunately, he was eventually captured/surrendered to American soldiers.
    I received some papers, photos, and a couple of his medals after he passed. If it means enough to you, you could do something similar to what I have done. I have purchased original replacements for the medals that he earned, but I did not receive, and display them together.
    If you would like to look at a thread containing my display, you can view it here.
    My Panzer Collection.
    Please feel free to post the rest of your photos, we will all enjoy seeing them. You never know, you may find out a few other things about your father.
    Glad we have been able to help you!
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Quote by silongirl View Post
    I thought I had them all the right way . What did I do wrong ????
    Some people have this issue, no problem, I will correct them for you.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

That is a fabulous idea , your Panzer collection, and very impressive ! A fine tribute. My father passed away when I was in my early twenties and at that point as a young woman I had no interest in his life in WW2 Germany . Now I wish I had asked more questions . The tidbits I did get certainly showed a tortured and battered soul. That's probably another reason I didn't push. My mother was only 12 when the war ended so her memories are limited . Only one of my father's sisters survived the war, 2 brothers died in Russian POW camps and the other sibling and her children committed suicide . Ahhh, I digress. Its very nice to be able to share, thank you for listening .

Hello Ladies & Gentlemen,
    First of all, welcome to our forum silongirl and thanks for posting in this subforum.
    Thank you very much also for posting this very nice portrait of your dad (for the other photos as well) and for sharing a part of your family's story with us...
    I'll try to post more in this thread later today or tomorrow as i do have things that intrigue me a bit (especially the portrait), but i do not have time right now for elaborating anything close to my point of view...
    Thanks again and see you later
    Thanks

PS : i do have two questions though

1: is the photo dated ?
    2: has it been taken in a professional photographer studio ?
    Thanks in advance

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

CBH
    ?

Welcome to the forum , I hope you'll enjoy your time here .

Also in the portrait photo , it looks like he might have a metal under his Iron Cross , Wound Badge maybe .

And if you have more vehicle photos , any with divisional markings might help narrow down what unit he was in .

Good luck in your search .

Indeed, we would really enjoy seeing more and learning more about your father. One note, the entry into Sudeten(land) considered ethnic German segments of Czechoslovakia was not a battle. It was an Anschluß or entry - what we might call an occupation. Sudetenland was the German term for this contested area. It was basically given away in the Munich Agreement of 1938. You can look it up in Wikipedia as well for a brief description of the period. Your father most likely was in some kind of occupying column that rode into Czechoslovakia - perhaps in a Panzer column. It might have been something similar to the photo attached. NH

Need help / information

It is possible that someone could determine from the motorcycle license plate, what division he was in at the time of that photo.
    Ralph.

Need help / information

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast