Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Opinions on this Reichswehr tunic...

Article about: Hi all. I'm looking for opinions on this (what appears to be) a Reichswehr tunic. Disregard the arm band, we all know it doesn't belong with this tunic. Thanks! Dzyner

?

Default Opinions on this Reichswehr tunic...

Hi all. I'm looking for opinions on this (what appears to be) a Reichswehr tunic. Disregard the arm band, we all know it doesn't belong with this tunic.

Thanks!
    Dzyner

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Opinions on this Reichswehr tunic...
    P
    Many

Do these tunics wear an eagle with a backwards swaz ? First I have seen.

?

I noticed that as well. My thinking is this... it could be the result of the soldier simply applying it backward (the breast eagle) when sewing it to the tunic when it was transitioned over to the TR period as these tunics were. I've asked the current owner (vet's daughter) for a better close up shot so I can see more detail and determine how it is applied, but if you've seen enough of the different types of period eagles you'll know what I mean; with some the back side looks almost identical to the front (with the exception being the mirror image of the Swastika) so it would have been easier to do than it may seem.

MAP
    ?

Looks odd. I admit uniforms are not my area but shouldn't RW have 8 buttons.

This also appears to be very short with the bottom pockets reaching the bottom of the tunic making it look like it was modified in some way from something else but I don't know what.

Here is my beat up RW "walking out" tunic converted to 1936 specs. With potential DKiG loops, screw back EK1 as well as a number of other awards.

(Photos are old and crappy)

Transitional Tunic?
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

TWS
    ?

Quote by real steel View Post
    Do these tunics wear an eagle with a backwards swaz ? First I have seen.
    Eagle is facing the wrong direction too.

?

Quote by MAP View Post
    I admit uniforms are not my area but shouldn't RW have 8 buttons.
    MAP, the short answer is no, not all Reichswehr tunics had 8 buttons. The version of the tunic you linked to (your tunic) is not the same type as this one. Like TR tunics, there was more than one type of RW tunic. The one in my original post appears to be a version manufactured of thick cotton twill (moleskin Drillichrock), and this version should have 6 buttons (which it does). Below is an example in my private collection straight from a veteran, which is named, well marked, and includes the matching "teller style" cap (accessories were added for show). You can see some of the similarities in the cut, design and materials between mine and the one in my post. This same style tunic can also be found in the book by Laurent Huart & Jean-Philippe Borg titled, "Feldbluse: The German soldier's field tunic 1933 - 45"

Quote by MAP View Post
    This also appears to be very short with the bottom pockets reaching the bottom of the tunic making it look like it was modified in some way from something else but I don't know what.
    Not uncommon at all to see modifications to these tunics (or even TR tunics). Many "by the book" collectors shy away from anything that strays from standard. In my experience owning over 30 TR tunics (many still in my collection) from various branches, purchased only from veterans or their family members, I've learned not to discount a tunic just because it's been modified as long as you're confident in its provenance. I once owned a Luftwaffe flight tunic that was shortened significantly, all the way up to the lower pockets same as the one in my OP, and a couple of button holes sewn closed as well. The modifications were done so well (as many were during that period) you had to look closely to see them.

?

Quote by TWS View Post
    Eagle is facing the wrong direction too.
    Correct. As I mentioned in my earlier post, it is entirely possible that this particular breast eagle is the type that looks almost identical on the back side as it does the front and was unfortunately sewn on backwards when this tunic was transitioned into the TR. I've seen stranger things that were original period done. I've requested a few more photos from the seller showing the eagle more closely in order to judge whether or not the sewing job appears period or replaced.

Hi

I can add a bit to the debate although not my main area of collecting. The reichswehr 1920 pattern tunics had 8 buttons to start with and the later ones after 1928 had six down the front. the moleskin tunic came in after 1928 so has six buttons. This one has the Reichswehr marked buttons but I would hazard a guess that it is post 1935 in manufacture as the bottom pockets are on the outside rather than inside the tunic. Also the lining indicates a private purchase for an officer IMO rather than a standard issue from the stores. The collar looks green rather than field grey cloth which also points to post35/1936. The original moleskin tunics had collars made of the same material as the tunic.

Not doubting it's authenticity in any way just making, hopefully, some valid observations.

Hope this helps

cheers

Tony

Hello,
    It is a post-1941 privately purchased Dienstbluse for a Leutnant der Infanterie (apparently Infanterieregiment 8).
    Sew-in shoulderboards are quite unusual for such a Dienstbluse at this date
    Guys, fellow members, have you ever seen a Reichsheer tunic lined with rayon....?
    and regarding the Hoheitsabzeichen, not the first time i can see this....always funny...
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

?

I received the tunic this week and was able to take some better photos so I thought I'd post them here. She's a very interesting example in several ways, including the erroneously sewn backward breast eagle I personally love that detail about this tunic. It shows that not everything is "textbook".

I also believe the shoulder boards are missing their "7"s, and should be "87" on each. You can see what appears to be faint indentations outlining the shape of "7" devices on each board. I've included an example of a pair of 7s below in the photos so you can see the style I'm referencing.

I should also note that this tunic included the original Officer's breeches, Officer's visor cap (needs some love) and Officer's M43 Field Cap.