Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Pelzjacke (Winter Jacket, Fur Lined)

Article about: Hi folks, picked up a new article for the mannequin today. I've been looking for one of these to recreate a mannequin similar to the soldiers seen in this photo: I know these were popular, e

Default Pelzjacke (Winter Jacket, Fur Lined)

Hi folks, picked up a new article for the mannequin today. I've been looking for one of these to recreate a mannequin similar to the soldiers seen in this photo:

I know these were popular, especially on the Eastern Front, in all branches of the Wehrmacht. This one shows age but is in overall very sound condition with no tears or holes, and no shedding of fur.

There are no markings other than the size stamp in black ink (IV) and something else that I can't make out... KOHN F***S? Anyone ever seen anything like it before? There are some blue pencil marks on some of the stitches indicating where to cut when making the jacket, and the same blue pencil was used to write "66" on one arm, and draw something like a "T" on the other - maybe whomever was making the jacket was just feeling creative that day - who knows? I doubt they mean much of anything.

If anyone is familiar with this type of garment, I'd like to hear your opinions. I have no idea if this was German made or what the general production time period might be, but I'd think maybe late war considering the haphazard stitching and the often seen pressed paper buttons.

I look forward to your thoughts as always - thanks, friends.

-DF

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Pelzjacke (Winter Jacket, Fur Lined)
    P
    Many

CSW
    ?

I believe the marking is for the French fur garment manufacturer KOHN Frères. Here's another example that was posted on a French forum, all credit to user "paulux" on Passion-Militaria:

Additionally, here's a page from the 1937 book "Rapport de la classe 57. Fourrure. L'exposition internationale des arts et technique dans la vie moderne" that mentions the company:

Perhaps this helps a bit! I really like the look of these pieces and have been considering acquiring one as well. Well done!

Quote by CSW View Post
    I believe the marking is for the French fur garment manufacturer KOHN Frères. Here's another example that was posted on a French forum, all credit to user "paulux" on Passion-Militaria
    You've done it! You've solved the Pelzjacke mystery - and so quickly, too! Really, thanks so much. It's little bits of information like this that make collecting worth while. I was doing some reasearch myself and came across another picture of a nearly identical fur jacket with the same construction, and found this stamp:

"K.F. PARIS"

Without a doubt, "KOHN Frères" is the answer. I suppose this was made by KF during the German occupation of France, but that's only a guess. Thanks again for the detailed answers and the pictures. I'll make notes of all of this in my collection journal for reference. Well done!

-DF

CSW
    ?

Quote by DerFunker View Post
    You've done it! You've solved the Pelzjacke mystery - and so quickly, too! Really, thanks so much. It's little bits of information like this that make collecting worth while. I was doing some reasearch myself and came across another picture of a nearly identical fur jacket with the same construction, and found this stamp:

"K.F. PARIS"

Without a doubt, "KOHN Frères" is the answer. I suppose this was made by KF during the German occupation of France, but that's only a guess. Thanks again for the detailed answers and the pictures. I'll make notes of all of this in my collection journal for reference. Well done!

-DF
    You are most welcome, it's always a pleasure to be able to learn and help other forum members at the same time. Thanks a lot for the kind words too!

I absolutely agree about research and learning being some of the most rewarding aspects of the hobby. While I am certainly not an expert on these, I would personally happily consider your French-made piece 100% appropriate for a Wehrmacht winter display.

Quote by CSW View Post
    You are most welcome, it's always a pleasure to be able to learn and help other forum members at the same time. Thanks a lot for the kind words too!

I absolutely agree about research and learning being some of the most rewarding aspects of the hobby. While I am certainly not an expert on these, I would personally happily consider your French-made piece 100% appropriate for a Wehrmacht winter display.
    Thanks, and agreed! This jacket looks like a very good match to the ones on the left and right in the original photo I posted. I'll assemble this new winter display this weekend and post some pics for the forum.

-DF

?

Congratulations, very nice! I recently picked up a similar type of garment for the Luftwaffe. Mine is more of a jacket liner / sweater for wear under a greatcoat. The breast eagle may be a collector embellishment but who knows.

Regards, Al

Quote by Aldo View Post
    Congratulations, very nice! I recently picked up a similar type of garment for the Luftwaffe. Mine is more of a jacket liner / sweater for wear under a greatcoat. The breast eagle may be a collector embellishment but who knows.
    Thanks, Aldo! Great looking setup on yours. I've seen these pelt jackets attributed to the Luftwaffe before, with the same knitted sleeves. I really like them, and it displays great with your Pelzmütze.