Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Recon/cavalry - any comments and readings recommended?

Article about: Good evening everybody, A small overview of my cavalry/recon officers’ boards collection. What do you think? Also, has anybody good recommendations for further readings about the cavalry and

Default Recon/cavalry - any comments and readings recommended?

Good evening everybody,

A small overview of my cavalry/recon officers’ boards collection. What do you think?

Also, has anybody good recommendations for further readings about the cavalry and recon units? My impression is that the topic is extremely complex due to some units starting as cavalry units and some others as motorcycle units leading to a lot of confusion around the Waffenfarben (I personally have some boards in copper braun but most of them in golden yellow).

If anybody could also shed some light on the copper brown shoulder boards (and also the other ones with specific cyphers) in the pictures (which units and which period), I would be extremely thankful.

Philippe
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Recon/cavalry - any comments and readings recommended?   Recon/cavalry - any comments and readings recommended?  

Recon/cavalry - any comments and readings recommended?   Recon/cavalry - any comments and readings recommended?  

Recon/cavalry - any comments and readings recommended?   Recon/cavalry - any comments and readings recommended?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Recon/cavalry - any comments and readings recommended?
    P
    Many

Another question: why do some boards feature a gothic „A“ for Aufklärer while other don‘t (especially with the golden yellow Waffenfarbe)?
    Thanks a lot in advance!

Any readings recommendation?

?

First let me say that you have an amazing collection, thanks for posting them. There was a thread regarding this book about cavalry units that appears to be a great reference. I myself ordered it but have not received it yet.

Cheers, Al

A new reference book.

?

Philippe, I'm sorry I don't have any answers for your questions as these are out of my area of collecting but I was wondering if you can answer a question for me. I particularly like the shoulder boards with skulls on them. I take it by the size in relation to the rank pip that they are panzer skulls. Would it be possible to take a picture of the rear showing the attachment pins ? I collect many varieties of Totenkopf's and love seeing them in use on uniforms and caps.
    Best Regards, Al

Thank you very much Aldo. I will have a look at that book. I will also make a picture from the back but if I remember correctly the skulls have been mounted on the boards’ Russian braid before this has been seen together with the coloured underlay. Also the skulls look very similar to the ones featured on this link: Uniforms of the Wehrmacht which shows shoulder boards of the 5th cavalry regiment. What I don’t know is if the skulls used by that regiment are supposed to be standard panzer skulls. I had the impression they were slightly different but I cannot really tell why.

I am the OP from the linked thread and I got my copy yesterday. It is going to be a valuable asset. The panzer skulls were used as the cavalry was going mechanized but was still designated as cavalry if I read it right. There is an image in the book of a rare panzer wrap with the golden yellow waffenfarbe and panzer "sculls" on the collar tabs. That book is well worth the investment!

TWS
    ?

Two great books on German WWII Cav/Recon by my good friend Robert J. Edwards: "Scouts Out" and "Tip of the Spear".

These volumes go into great depth and detail and IMO are a must for serious study of the subject.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

?

Quote by Phil9790 View Post
    Thank you very much Aldo. I will have a look at that book. I will also make a picture from the back but if I remember correctly the skulls have been mounted on the boards’ Russian braid before this has been seen together with the coloured underlay. Also the skulls look very similar to the ones featured on this link: Uniforms of the Wehrmacht which shows shoulder boards of the 5th cavalry regiment. What I don’t know is if the skulls used by that regiment are supposed to be standard panzer skulls. I had the impression they were slightly different but I cannot really tell why.
    Phillippe, yes a variety of different panzer skulls were used by cavalry units including this small Danziger type

The skulls most widely associated with Kavallerie-Regiment 5. is this larger Danziger variant of which I have a few in my collection. These however were used on visors.

Recon/cavalry - any comments and readings recommended?Recon/cavalry - any comments and readings recommended?

Recon/cavalry - any comments and readings recommended?Recon/cavalry - any comments and readings recommended?

Here are some other types in use

I did however find this curious set that is for sale on the Telesmanich website listed a 5th Cavalry regiment boards utilizing the larger skulls. However, I don't know enough about shoulder boards to understand why these would not have the golden yellow waffenfarbe

That's enough of my skulls, I didn't mean to hijack your thread and excellent collection

Best Regards, Al

TWS
    ?

Hi Aldo,

Those style of "early" shoulder straps with the pointed ends did not come with Waffenfarbe piping. For some stupid reason my phone is not communicating with my laptop the past few days, otherwise I'd snap a photo of my Riker mount full of pointed shoulder straps for illustration.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast