Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Restoring a Tunic

Article about: Hello, I'm looking for some advice with regards to potentially restoring this Artillery Combat tunic which I have owned for a number of years. All of the insignia is originally attached, how

?

Default Restoring a Tunic

Hello, I'm looking for some advice with regards to potentially restoring this Artillery Combat tunic which I have owned for a number of years. All of the insignia is originally attached, however on the left forearm you can clearly see where a patch badge has been removed/ souvenired at some point. The size and dimensions of the 'shadow' match that of the Artillery Proficiency Sleeve Patch which would seem logical for a Tunic of this branch. I have recently been able to obtain an original BeVo example of this patch so I have the following questions -
    1)Should I restore the Tunic or just leave it as it is?
    2) If I do restore it, will the sum of the individual parts be worth more than the completed item? I will not be selling it though.
    3) If I do restore it, how do you physically attach the patch? Do you fold the edges underneath and then attach or do you cut out the patch from the backing cloth? I have original period thread.
    All advice is much appreciated.
    kind regards,
    Colin
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Restoring a Tunic   Restoring a Tunic  

Restoring a Tunic   Restoring a Tunic  

Restoring a Tunic  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Restoring a Tunic
    P
    Many

If you restore it or not is your decision, but i personally like to keep things as much untoched as i can, my personal motto is only preservation and not restauration, so i would rather leave it as it is.
    I also dont add chinstraps to helmets for example, as it would not be the same as the original one that once belonged to the helmet.

Its a really nice piece and especially as all the other insiginia is originally attached (i cant judge that, i trust your judgement in this) i would keep it in this state, as restoring it would only mean further altering it post war. The original patch is lost to history, and thus part of this pieces history in a way, regardless of the way it was lost (could it also be a wartime removal? As i said, i have no idea abou that.).

Hello,
    Personally, i see no problem in this restoration process as there was an arm patch, apparently during wartime. When there is a clear shadow of an insignia that was removed, it is not against "collector's values" to restore it to its former glory. The main problem with restoration is that very often a Feldbluse is "restored" into something it has never been during the war, like a Heer Feldbluse "restored" into a WSS example, just to increase the value. As usual, there are two schools here, one that does not allow to touch an item like a Feldbluse and the other one that does if it's restored in the right spirit. As you can imagine, i belong to the second one. If i find a Feldbluse that clearly belonged to a member of the Gebirgstruppen and that has a clear shadow of a removed Edelweiss on the right sleeve, i see absolutly no problem to add one, but i notify this fact to the buyer in case of a sale. Insignia factory sewn is one thing, wartime insignia sewn by the wearer is another thing and postwar restored on clear shadows is the last acceptable thing (to me).

It is your choice to do it or not, no one can take this decision but you.

If you want to restore it, don't cut the edges, it would damage the insignia during the sewing process. The edges should be folded.
    The easier way to do it is to cut a piece of cardboard of the size of the insignia (in oval) and to fold the edge behind. In the past, i used an iron at the back of the insignia to keep the edge folded (remove the cardboard before sewing the insignia).

Restoring a Feldbluse to its former glory is not a "crime"
    Creating a new "story" that never existed by adding insignia can be...
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

TWS
    ?

My guidance to myself regarding my own uniforms is "repairs only" never hump a piece up into something it wasn't.

Your situation is more restoration than humping up as there clearly was a patch there before, so adding one will not be an enhancement that it never had.
    As far as my own collection, I only do things like fix a lining seam that is splitting to prevent it from splitting further, or reattach a button that has come off. I also once bought a tunic that had its original breast eagle in the pocket and I had that reapplied by a professional tailor - which is something I of course would disclose should I ever sell it.
    Basically I'm aligned with Jean-Phillippe.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

?

Thank you for all your replies.
    I think I will just leave it as it is. I will leave the Heer Artillery Proficiency Patch in a clear plastic wallet in one of the Tunic pockets for future generations as in a way it is/was part of the Tunics history.
    Kind regards,
    Colin

Hello,
    In my opinion, there are only two valid options :

1 : restoring the Feldbluse with the arm patch

2 : leaving the Feldbluse as it is now (and display the arm patch in a cabinet with other insignia)

Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)