Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Size matters?

Article about: In my collecting of some Third Reich uniform pieces I have purchased a couple items that have me a bit curious. I'll be honest in that while the descriptions did include some general size in

Default Size matters?

In my collecting of some Third Reich uniform pieces I have purchased a couple items that have me a bit curious. I'll be honest in that while the descriptions did include some general size information, I did not realize just how small in size the pieces were until I received them. One was a Heer M38 overseas cap from IMA that was said to be a size 54-55 and the second was a Luftwaffe flight blouse from 'The Collector's Guild' that from my understanding of the stamps is a 90cm chest with other small dimensions. I guess my question is, are these pieces unusual or questionable in their extremely small sizes? Any information or opinions on the pieces would be helpful.

Thanks!
    Phillip
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Size matters?   Size matters?  

Size matters?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Size matters?
    P
    Many

Quite normal for later war items being of smaller sizes.
    Many soldiers lost weight and, many casualties, requiring enlisting them at a younger age.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

The German government made a huge effort to make certain in the mid to late 30’s that the young men were given plenty of food to build them up. Most Europeans coming of age during the 30’s suffered from lack of good food and it showed in the average height and weight data. The average British soldier was 2 inches shorter and 15 pounds lighter than the averages during WW1. The French showed similar impact. Data for Eastern Europe showed a similar effect. The Germans however were similar to the WW1 generation, but the American were on average 1 inch taller and 10 pounds heavier. There were food shortages in the 1930’s in the US, but the food was still cheaper and more readily available than in Europe.

German recruits had to be between the ages of 17 and 23, at least 5 ft 9 in tall. 5 ft 10 in tall for the LSSAH. Concentration camp guards had to make a one-year commitment and be between the ages of 16 and 23, and at least 5 ft 8 in tall.
    "It's not whether you get knocked down...It's whether you get up"

My Collection: www.tothehiltmilitaria.com

Very interesting information! Thank you!

Would the smaller pieces be more valuable, less valuable, or no difference? ..not that I collect for investment reasons, just to enjoy.

?

Quote by vascrats View Post
    Very interesting information! Thank you!

Would the smaller pieces be more valuable, less valuable, or no difference? ..not that I collect for investment reasons, just to enjoy.
    Not sure it effects the value as the size is what it is. I do know for most of my uniforms it is hard finding proper mannequins to fit the uniforms in some cases. Usually in many cases Teen or Young Man Mannequins are in order.
    "It's not whether you get knocked down...It's whether you get up"

My Collection: www.tothehiltmilitaria.com

I appreciate the input greatly! I liked the pieces despite them being smaller than I would ever have thought... but thanks to you all, I feel a whole lot better about them now.

Hello,
    I've seen smaller sizes than your Fliegerbluse or Feldmütze. I perfectly remember the smallest (non modified) Feldbluse, the chest size was 80. Concerning the headgear, it was a tropical Feldmütze in size 53. They are even smaller sizes out there...
    The size of a piece of uniform or headgear is not an issue for many collectors, but can be a problem for some. Not everyone has the same project, the same goal to achieve, one wants a black Panzer M43 when another collector wants a black Panzer M43 that fits the head of a mannequin which is 57. The first collector would be delighted to get this headgear in any size, the second can only get one in 57 or 58...
    In my case, size matters...All my greatcoats or rubberized coats fit me. If they fit me they'll fit the mannequins as i only get the tallest ones. All pants and most tunics as well (i always try on me before the purchase). Same for the boots or ankle boots, helmets...etc...
    For instance, all my Feldmützen are between 56 cm and 59 cm, all my footwear is between 28 cm 1/2 and 31 cm.
    I of course also have items in the collection that don't fit the mannequins, a piece of history is still a piece of history even if it's small. I have a Feldmütze 34/35 with a size 55, i never use "her" for mannequins, it's stripped, unit marked, 1935 dated with brass airvents and comes from a PoW camp. I bought it because i could not resist the tremendous look she has...no insignia but they're still there...
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

Size of items has never really concerned me. As long as it is original that is all that matters.

As already mentioned people were of generally smaller build than today. Years ago my friend's 12 year old son discovered he would fit in many of my German uniforms.

I do have one huge sized Luftwaffe tropical shirt though.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Thanks again everyone! My biggest concern, more so than them being 'fakes', was that they were some form of children's uniform and not really considered to be true military pieces but I paid otherwise for them. ...and for them not being as desirable as a result. I appreciate the input so I could feel much better about the pieces.

?

It always suprises me how small hats and blouses are! Don't worry about it!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast